• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on an MJ?

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Ok, the time is coming for me to get another Jeep. You can check "No more MJ" down in Sierra Chapter for why.
Anyway, I want another MJ. I know of two right now that are available.

The first one is an 88 shortbed 4x4 with the 5 speed and a 4.0L. It's got about 204K miles and hasn't been smogged recently. It has a bed shell and the slider window is broken.

The other is an 86 longbed 4x4 with the 5 speed and the 2.8L V-6. It's got 182K miles and was smogged last week. It has a new clutch, rebuilt carb, and new cooling, exhaust, and u-joints, according to the owner, along with some other stuff. T-case and tranny service, some more stuff too.

Both of these are asking about the same, just about $1000. I'd have to learn to drive a manual either way.

So what are your opinions? Should I get the V-6 with less mileage on it and some stuff serviced, or should I get the 4.0L? Longbed vs short isn't really an issue, my last was a longbed. Or should I hold out for a 4.0L/AW-4 combo?

Go for the 4.0L. The 2.8L is gutless when it runs, and isn't known for longevity. Plus the tranny and transfer case are weaker, too ... although an '88 4.0L probably has a BA10/5 tranny, which isn't exactly bullet-proof either.

Unless you need the capacity of the longbed, the shortbeds are more nimble and maneuverable, and just a lot nicer to drive. And if you go off-road the shortbed has a better breakover angle AND a better departure angle.

4.0 and shortbed Vs. 2.8 and longbed?!!??! are you kidding me? no competition.

the shortbed will be way better for Sierra wheelin (I wish I could take mine down to 108ish) and the 2.8 is a piece of crap, you would have to swap it to a 3.4 (which is a great and pretty cheap swap, but lots of work).

i swapped a 94 AW4 and 23 spline t-case into my MJ with the Peugeot and actually made money on the deal by selling the Peugeot on Ebay.

i'll hook you up with one of my manually shifting units for the AW4

Is either one the Metric ton option?
You get the heavier rear axle. And the rear springs are about twice as heavy.

Only downfall, my 88 Metric Ton, rides like a one ton truck.

Axles don't matter, I'm going to try to get my 30 and 44 as salvage. The 44 should still be good.
I figured it would be the 4.0L no contest. Thought I'd ask anyway. I think I'll call soon and see if the shorty has been smogged yet, line up the cash, and work out a test drive.
Thanks. Any more input?

That window is gonna be a bitch to replace....search on here about it....best option would be a plexiglass repalcement for the broken pane, but if you leave the shell on it wont be a problem. My lock is broken on my slider, but with my shell on you cant even get at it from the outside.

With the manual trannys, check the master cylinder, look on the driver's floor and up behind the fuse box for leakage. Find out when the clutch & slave & master cylinders were last replaced. If it's an internal slave cylinder, they are real bitches...not a deterrent...just keep it in mind. Driving a manual jeep isn't hard, it's actually quite fun...

If passing the smog is a hang up, ask the seller to have it smogged as part of the deal, offer to pay for the test if it passes and you buy it. Basically, try to find out if the minor maintenance was done..u-joints, seals, motor mounts, stuff that would be shot on a 200k miles + truck.

Have fun!

Ok cool thanks. On the smog, though, CA law says he's got to have it smogged within like 90 days of selling it. So no smog = no sale.

Back