• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putco Harness and LED headlight bulbs

Automechnic077

NAXJA Forum User
I installed the Putco H4 Harness in my 99 XJ sport last summer to replace the Factory crap. The difference is night and day! I also had factory fog lights so I did the fix for the brights staying on. Everything has been working great.

I recently upgraded my headlights in my daily driver car to a pair of 6000k led's.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H6NZ5QW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The difference from the Silverstars to the new led's was amazing! in the car. I like the color and the way they light up street signs and make everything stand out so I ordered a pair for my Autopal housings not because the original 55w-60w bulbs were nothing but awesome I just wanted to try these led's in there for a more modern look.

I put them in today and went for a drive tonight, It appears the highbeams are stuck on. or the housings throw the light EVERYWHERE I can't get nothing to change when flicking the switch from low to high. I hear the relay clicking but nothing happens. The same bulbs work fine in my car just not in the jeep.

IT doesn't make any sense to me or I seem to be missing something. The bulbs are plug and play, they're plugged directly into the putco harness. The brightness doesn't change whether I turn the headlight switch on and off with the highbeams on or off. All the putco harness does is allow more amps to travel through the wires to prevent the voltage loss and dimmer lights. So it should have no effect on the led's as they pull barely any power even with they're cooling fan running. What am I missing?

Just so you know, the more light up on signs is also more light in on coming driver's eyes. That's why I use euro style lights. I also hope you don't get fog, snow storms, etc... As 6k bulbs will make visibility absolutely horrible as it highlights the fog etc... I'd opt for something closer to a 3-4k color if you drive in those conditions. Same goes for people who install illegal hid lights, wish they would make those kits illegal to sell.

My 2015 corolla has led lights from the factory. The LEDs make the reflective signs stand out. I don't think it's a matter of light being cast astray from a misaligned headlight. I think it's just the nature of the led. The bulbs I stuck in the Jeep are the same ones I ordered for my 2000 prizm. I've been driving with them in the prizm for a few months and had 0 issues with people flashing they're headlights back or even being stopped by the law.
I noticed this morning on my journey into work that the LEDs are very dimly lit with just the parking lights on.

Just so you know, the more light up on signs is also more light in on coming driver's eyes. That's why I use euro style lights. I also hope you don't get fog, snow storms, etc... As 6k bulbs will make visibility absolutely horrible as it highlights the fog etc... I'd opt for something closer to a 3-4k color if you drive in those conditions. Same goes for people who install illegal hid lights, wish they would make those kits illegal to sell.
why should they be illegal?

all your doing is beefing up the wiring and using the factory wiring to run the switching side of a relay. you are upgrading to an output that is common place in modern vehicles. the illegal part should be the non DOT projectors people use to save a few bucks.

why should they be illegal?

all your doing is beefing up the wiring and using the factory wiring to run the switching side of a relay. you are upgrading to an output that is common place in modern vehicles. the illegal part should be the non DOT projectors people use to save a few bucks.

I think you misinterpreted kit for the wiring harness upgrade and not the cheapo HID kits that I'm almost certain he was talking about.

I wasn't talking about upgraded wiring with relays, I do that to most of my cars and all my muscle cars. Just because nobody flashes you doesn't mean they are not blinding. Most euro cars hids are blinding to on coming drivers. It's not as bad driving an SUV or truck but really bad driving low cars. If you can't see well with halogens, maybe you need glasses. I've been driving a long time with zero issues and in all sorts of conditions. Wait till you hit heavy fog and your super bright blue lights make visibility even more dangerous.

I don't have a HID kit. I purchased a Putco H4 Harness and a Pair of Autopal glass Fixtures over a year ago. I have been running Silverstar ultra halogens in the fixtures and one bulb burnt out. $30 for new pair I wanted to try somthing different. I liked the Silverstars and haven't had a problem and no complaints. I just wanted to try something different.
Thanks for the insight on the Snow, Fog. We get plenty here in MD so i'll have to find out for myself.

Thanks Ivan I will check your link I will check it out.

I don't have a HID kit. I purchased a Putco H4 Harness and a Pair of Autopal glass Fixtures over a year ago. I have been running Silverstar ultra halogens in the fixtures and one bulb burnt out. $30 for new pair I wanted to try somthing different. I liked the Silverstars and haven't had a problem and no complaints. I just wanted to try something different.
Thanks for the insight on the Snow, Fog. We get plenty here in MD so i'll have to find out for myself.

Thanks Ivan I will check your link I will check it out.

Back