NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 24th, 2017, 22:28
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Re: Pre-Production Sneak Peak at Boostwerks Comp Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by themauler View Post

Since this is "pre-production" and I have not seen this piece in person I figured I would voice my only concern. All lateral alignment appears to be controlled by the mounting bolts and the fitment around the bolts. I have no idea how much un unbraced steering box moves during normal offroad use but if there is a hard lateral pull and the whole mount slides say 1/4" to one side and takes the steering box shaft with it, will the steering box survive that? I will put on my flame suit now
That is a great question actually and is something I've considered in the design.

1. The front two holes require drilling once the position has been set. The tolerance around the bolt is tight as well, so once torqued down the mount won't be able to shift even-though the other mounting holes are slotted (The prototype shown here has all slotted holes however).

2. I'll include this in the instructions, but side pulls should only be done as a last resort. Ideally your going to want to rig a snatch block and angle the line to prevent excess strain on the cable, mount and chassis. As far as I'm concerned this is very important and considered proper technique, although I realize that not every situation allows for this.
www.BoostwerksEngineering.com
Old January 24th, 2017, 22:43
Associate

I'm assuming a bumper of some sort goes on over this?
Old January 24th, 2017, 22:45
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockclimber View Post
I'm assuming a bumper of some sort goes on over this?
Yes.
Old January 25th, 2017, 09:11
NAXJA Forum User

Awesome write up. I have been waiting for this to hit the market as well. I have held off building a recessed winch mount for this and am about to weld up my front frame stiffeners but had a question. It's a little hard to tell from the pictures but do you think there would be any issue running the Hooligan Offroad frame stiffeners that wrap under the frame rail? They wrap under the rail around where the sway bar mounts. I see that you have to flatten part of the rail but not sure if its the same area that these are tying into.

https://www.hooliganoffroad.com/coll...ont-stiffeners
Old January 25th, 2017, 13:53
Mostly Harmless

Not having those stiffeners on hand to hold in place, take this as a half-educated guess.

It looks to me like those end right behind the flange that needs to be flattened.

I see three issues which will need to be addressed.

First, the thickness added by the stiffener (its own thickness + whatever gap may be present) will need to be made up at the front bolt. If it were me I would want to weld in an additional plate, but a stack of washers might be adequate.

Second, and more challenging, the added thickness at the sway bar mount is going to result in moving the entire mount back by a fraction of an inch (some measurements and some trig and you can figure out exactly how much, or just try holding it up in place). Slotting of the swaybar holes would not help fix this. The thickness of the material will force a slightly different position. Grinding a bit of material off the front flanges (where I have no additional clearance on the driver's side, but 1/8" clearance on the passenger side) might solve this. Then the second hole back from the very front (for 1/2" hardware) would need to be slotted a bit (at 90 degrees to the current slot) to match the existing hole in the frame. The very front hole has to be drilled by the user anyway, so that one should not matter. Then it is simply a matter of the mount being that much thickness lower in the vehicle.

That brings up the third issue which will be the available length of the sector support nut. I might have an extra quarter inch available in my installation. That is going to be cutting it pretty close. Perhaps there may be a bit of slop in the steering gearbox mount such that it could be dropped a bit lower, but I kind of doubt that. I expect gravity will have already claimed the lower range of movement from the time of first installation.

Those are the thoughts that come to mind for me. I don't think any of those are insurmountable obstacles, but I would want to order the mount bare (no powder coating).
Old January 25th, 2017, 14:19
NAXJA Member

Too bad the bottom of the mount isn't removable. Then you could weld it in place and still have access to your winch for servicing.

SeXJ Build Thread
Old January 25th, 2017, 15:17
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks Anak! You brought up points I wasn't even considering!
Old January 25th, 2017, 16:39
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by retarius View Post
Awesome write up. I have been waiting for this to hit the market as well. I have held off building a recessed winch mount for this and am about to weld up my front frame stiffeners but had a question. It's a little hard to tell from the pictures but do you think there would be any issue running the Hooligan Offroad frame stiffeners that wrap under the frame rail? They wrap under the rail around where the sway bar mounts. I see that you have to flatten part of the rail but not sure if its the same area that these are tying into.

https://www.hooliganoffroad.com/coll...ont-stiffeners
I've had a few customers with our steering brace along with stiffeners like this, get it to work by simply adding an additional spacer in the front portion to take up the space. I don't see why this wouldn't work in this application as well. Like Anak had mentioned, you may need to clearance the front for the unit to move back, but it shouldn't be much due the slight angle.

Quote:
Too bad the bottom of the mount isn't removable. Then you could weld it in place and still have access to your winch for servicing.
That was actually the first design that I was working on. However, I decided against it due to the potential stress risers that welding can bring when welding sheet-metal. Then there's the fact that not everyone knows how to do it properly, so you may end up doing more harm than good.

If you are concerned about it shifting, you could put 4 small tacks on the outside corners as a reassurance. They would be easy to access with a cut off wheel for removal, and wouldn't add any substantial weak point.

The assembly as is, is very easy to remove and reinstall once the initial installation has been performed, especially if you have a transmission jack.
Old January 25th, 2017, 16:42
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the reply Boostwerks. I look forward to this coming to market
Old January 25th, 2017, 17:52
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by retarius View Post
Thanks for the reply Boostwerks. I look forward to this coming to market
Thank you! It's been a long time coming.
Old January 26th, 2017, 11:36
NAXJA Member

Ahem....

I still don't see one sitting on my porch...that's

What the hell...

Old January 30th, 2017, 20:09
NAXJA Member

Great write up! Think you will be able to keep the OEM front tow hook brackets with the Comp Mount?
Old January 30th, 2017, 21:12
Mostly Harmless

That is a good question.

Ones like these, right?

They appear to primarily attach along the outside of the frame rails. That part should not be a problem. Those two right angle brackets (sort of in the center of the picture) could be a problem though. The Comp Mount interferes with the location of the lower inside hole. That is not an insurmountable problem though. I am looking at welding a similar plate in place for increased strength. What I don't know about are those two brackets at the bottom of the picture with two bends in each of them. How do those attach?

I have a pair of those two hooks around here someplace (in the parts Jeep I think). I know they are missing the right angle brackets, but they may have the other ones. If I get a chance I will play around with them and post up what I find.
Old January 31st, 2017, 06:41
NAXJA Member

Yup, those are the right hooks brackets.

The brackets at the bottom of the picture are sandwiched between the tow hook and tow hook bracket on the 2 hole side. The single hole side bolts to the frame rail. For reference, the driver side frame rail hole is directly under the steering box. Since that is where the Comp Mount bolts into to, you might have to drill a hole in the Comp Mount to use that support bracket.

But seems like it will still work.
Old January 31st, 2017, 08:01
Mostly Harmless

If I understand correctly, the bracket in question needs to go to the location of the middle bolt shown through the Comp Mount in this picture:

I see the gussets as posing a probable interference. How much interference would be the question.

I will see if I can find my parts and run a fit check.