NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 18th, 2015, 18:21
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Projext "V8 XJ" Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistovmhz View Post
Where you goona put your ecu? Word of advice, figure that out before putting the motor in. Rework the Chevy harness on the motor out of the truck.

I just spent nearly 2 full days doing mine in the truck and it was the suck. Next one I do will be fully wired before I even pull the 4L.
ECU is going to be mounted in the same location as the Jeep ECU. I plan on sending out the harness to be reworked. I really don't want to do it. And its only $250 for 150tunes.com to do it.
Old August 18th, 2015, 19:35
NAXJA Member # 788

Quote:
Where you goona put your ecu? Word of advice, figure that out before putting the motor in. Rework the Chevy harness on the motor out of the truck.

I just spent nearly 2 full days doing mine in the truck and it was the suck. Next one I do will be fully wired before I even pull the 4L.
I took a big piece of cardboard and drew the engine bay, engine and all sensors. Then used it to build the harness on my living room floor with my kids. It was easy, fun and a perfect fit when I went to put it in. Wiring it in the car would really suck.
Old August 24th, 2015, 21:50
NAXJA Forum User

Got my FSMs today. Now I can start the wiring
Old August 26th, 2015, 01:18
NAXJA Forum User

So I have a question.

I'm having a hard time understanding the wiring diagrams. I'm pretty sure I'm correct in this, but I just want to check.

The DG/OR wire that is power to the injectors and ignition coil crosses over connector C107. Can I just terminate the wire at that connector? Or do I need to terminate the power at the splice?
Old August 26th, 2015, 09:00
NAXJA Member # 788

I would take it all the back to the PDC, then use the circuit for something else or as a spare for the future. It's a 20a circuit. I did this with several of my unused Jeep circuits.
Old August 26th, 2015, 09:24
NAXJA Forum User

Yup. You want to self contain things as much as possible. I grabbed an ignition from the jeep and that's the only stock power I used. I grabbed some snap together relays, mounted them on the firewall, and ran all the Chevy power from there. You'll need extra relays anyway for your tcc lockup to brake switch anyway.
You really don't want any of the stock Jeep wiring powering anything in the chevy motor. The only wires I ended up using from the Jeep are for ignition > ECU, brake light switch > TCC relay > ECU, crank signal > ECU, OBD power/ground/serial > ECU, and... I think that's about it. All the power goes through 4 new relays on the firewall. One for fuel pump (though I could've used the stock Jeep one), injectors/coils, TCC switch, O2 sensors, and I think that was it.
I ended up with three plugs from the Jeep to the chevy harness. 2x4pin connectors for all the power stuff, and 1x8pin for all the non-power stuff. By the time you're done, you want to be able to disconnect your engine harness and drop it into any other Jeep with a few splices to add plug ends to the Jeep side.

The DG/OR is only 20A fused which may not be big enough for all the chevy power stuff. There should be a spare 40A fuse in the PDC you can use instead to power a few relays (on the firewall) for chevy stuff.

Last edited by blistovmhz; August 26th, 2015 at 09:40.
Old August 26th, 2015, 14:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D View Post
I would take it all the back to the PDC, then use the circuit for something else or as a spare for the future. It's a 20a circuit. I did this with several of my unused Jeep circuits.
That specific circuit I cant take back to the PDC as it supplys the PCM with power. I'll take as many of the connections back to the PDC if possible though.
Old August 26th, 2015, 14:10
NAXJA Forum User

Oh, are you retaining the stock XJ ECU for a gauge mule?
Old August 26th, 2015, 14:24
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Oh, are you retaining the stock XJ ECU for a gauge mule?
I'm still trying to decide....I really like the dakota digital VHX-1018. Its a universal gauge cluster that looks like it might fit in the stock location.

However I know myself, I'll probably go with the stock gauge cluster for now.
Old August 27th, 2015, 19:24
NAXJA Forum User

Harness is mostly complete. I have to splice some connections. And remove some wires from connectors. I don't have the really helpful each tools and busted a bunch of the retainers in the black PCM connector. Oops. It'll still work.

You end up removing 13 connectors from the engine harness. I haven't touched the C3 PCM connector as its part of the body harness. I will eventually, but not right now.

This is the harness. All that remains is the Coolant temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, speed sensor, and the TC gear selector light.(debating wether I'm going to remove this)

Wires removed
Old August 27th, 2015, 23:58
Piece of Fish!

Other than the price of that dakota digital cluster, it looks good. And they make nice stuff.
Would definitely be cheaper to run aftermarket gauges, if the stock gauges do not work.

One thing I think will be a bit easier for when I do an LSx swap is having a renix and the more simple wiring. Although, I have not looked into much detail on that. But less complex than the OBD2 setup.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old August 28th, 2015, 01:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Walker View Post
Other than the price of that dakota digital cluster, it looks good. And they make nice stuff.
Would definitely be cheaper to run aftermarket gauges, if the stock gauges do not work.

One thing I think will be a bit easier for when I do an LSx swap is having a renix and the more simple wiring. Although, I have not looked into much detail on that. But less complex than the OBD2 setup.
The Dakota cluster is actually a very good price in comparison to a nice Autometer setup.

I had the fan controller before and was very impressed with it.
Old September 1st, 2015, 18:06
NAXJA Forum User

Nice work so far. I'm fairly certain you can get a set of Autometers for a lot less than that Dakota universal dash though unless I'm looking at the wrong price. Is it really $850?
Old September 1st, 2015, 21:42
NAXJA Forum User

I plan on going with a set of gauges from Speedhut.com when I do my custom gauge panel. A Racepak dash is also another option.
Old September 4th, 2015, 23:57
NAXJA Forum User

No updates this weekend. As a real estate agent, I need some homes to close so I can make some extra spending cash.

I did however build a workbench today! I've always just sat on the ground if I needed to do something, but it's just too uncomfortable.

I own a pickup

Finished product

Next project will be disassembling the TC (car still fits in the garage, barely but it fits!)
[/URL]