• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boring Renix TB

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my new exhaust on and it sounds sweet! next step is to bore out my throttle body. I dont have the tools to d oit myself so off to the shop I go. Anyways, I couldn't find the thread on how big the Renix TB can go. Its 59mm right? And also should I have to pick up a new butterfly or can the shop make it? Thanks :)

Largest you can safely go with the RENIX is 61mm.

345h57d.jpg

Last edited:
I made them on a CNC milling center. I match the angle of the butterfly to the stock butterfly angle so it does need to be oblong. The edges of the butterfly are also cut on an angle to match the bore when closed. The one you see pictured was the first one I made.

Muad'Dib said:
I bought mine from a guy on my website (in sig). Im pretty sure he made the butterfly valve. I have heard they are hard to make though since they need to be oblong, and have different angles.

whats his username on there?I'm not doubting you but are you sure they can go 61mm?

Not to Hijack, I have been told I have a Renix. I have what looks to be a TB, and injectors, what gives? 88 Cherokee Pioneer 4.0L

outlander said:
whats his username on there?I'm not doubting you but are you sure they can go 61mm?

oletshot .. he replied right before yours here also.

Raceghost said:
Not to Hijack, I have been told I have a Renix. I have what looks to be a TB, and injectors, what gives? 88 Cherokee Pioneer 4.0L

What do you mean what gives? Like what does RENIX mean? Shoot you can just google that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renix

Anyway, basic meaning is a Jeep Cherokee\Commanche from 87-90. The top end of the engine is completely different then that of the later 91+'s.

Im sorry, I should have specified, It looks as though I have a throttle body, and injectors. It seemed as though the "Renix" was a short era, and an interesting build is all. I will google it though.
Edit: It seems to be that little coil/ignitial/ecu all in one. Either way, I found it wierd that my Pioneer has what looks to be TB and Injectors. So I need help in understanding what I am seeing. I'll snap a pic of the engine bay, but I am sure you guys know what I am saying. If the TB is infact a TB, then boring it would be on the list down the road. I have done this on other vehicles. Didnt meen to thow you a curve, just a curious question relating to the application of boring a TB, and upgrading the injectors of our "Renix" vehicles.

Last edited:
Raceghost said:
Im sorry, I should have specified, It looks as though I have a throttle body, and injectors. It seemed as though the "Renix" was a short era, and an interesting build is all. I will google it though.
Edit: It seems to be that little coil/ignitial/ecu all in one. Either way, I found it wierd that my Pioneer has what looks to be TB and Injectors. So I need help in understanding what I am seeing. I'll snap a pic of the engine bay, but I am sure you guys know what I am saying. If the TB is infact a TB, then boring it would be on the list down the road. I have done this on other vehicles. Didnt meen to thow you a curve, just a curious question relating to the application of boring a TB, and upgrading the injectors of our "Renix" vehicles.

Im having a hard time understanding what your saying... after reading it a few times i think your just plainly saying you can see a TB and injectors in your engine bay!! well yeah! All jeep vehicles have tb's and injectors!

Exactly, thats why Im scratching my head... Flame away after this one, but here I am looking at chevy 350's with throttle bodys, and the gas is mixed or injected at the tb, no injectors... So what is the dual setup for, gas inserted twice? Im a horible mechanic...

Muad'Dib said:
All jeep vehicles have tb's and injectors!

really? my first several were missing them, and some idiot bolted carburators in their place..

=)

Raceghost said:
Exactly, thats why Im scratching my head... Flame away after this one, but here I am looking at chevy 350's with throttle bodys, and the gas is mixed or injected at the tb, no injectors... So what is the dual setup for, gas inserted twice? Im a horible mechanic...

Good one Cal:)
Not all of them were fuel injected.Some of the early xj's were carb'd like the (yuk)2.8 v6.
that chevy motor you are looking at must be throttlebody injected,it has the injector(s) mounted in the throttle body.Think of it as a fuel injected carb.Older 4cyl xj's are the same.The multiport 4.0 uses multiple injectors to inject fuel directly into the intake manifold ports.
hope that clears it up for ya...

oletshot:Can you hook me up with a 61mm butterfly???

Last edited:
Ok, so does any one have a moded one for sale...TB that is? Please just PM if that is ok. 88 Cherokee Pioneer 4.0L Thanks for the clarification.

I can get you one, but it isn;t as simple as that. In order to open a renix TB to 61mm three things must be done.
1. machine the bore to 61mm. (probably didn't need to list that but...)
2. make a new 61mm butterfly (again, assumed you knew that to or you wouldn't have asked for one)
3. the throttle shaft needs it's slot widened to fit the larger butterfly.
So if you can do 1 and 3 on the list, #2 shouldn't be a problem. Right?
If you still want one let me know.

Raceghost, are you interested in one now? If your interested I'll machine yours for you. Let me know. Again, the pictue of the one posted earlier in this thread is an example of my work.

OOPS! My bad .. i totally forgot about the TBI equipped Jeeps... my appologies.
oletshot said:
Raceghost, are you interested in one now? If your interested I'll machine yours for you. Let me know. Again, the pictue of the one posted earlier in this thread is an example of my work.
And let me tell you.. his work is good. Ive been running it since i got it, and its awesome.

oletshot said:
I can get you one, but it isn;t as simple as that. In order to open a renix TB to 61mm three things must be done.
1. machine the bore to 61mm. (probably didn't need to list that but...)
2. make a new 61mm butterfly (again, assumed you knew that to or you wouldn't have asked for one)
3. the throttle shaft needs it's slot widened to fit the larger butterfly.
So if you can do 1 and 3 on the list, #2 shouldn't be a problem. Right?
If you still want one let me know.

I was thinking more along the lines of taking my tb into napa's machine shop here in town and supplying them with the larger butterfly and having them bore it and install the larger butterfly.I don't have the proper tools to do this at home.

Back