• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hjeepxj's "Build" Thread

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
To make a long story short, long time Jeeper, took a long break due to life happening and now I am looking to get back into the hobby. I will not be using my old Jeep (I will attach a pic) as it has some issues and needs some serious engine/tranny work.

I am getting married in July and am footing the entire bill, plus the cost of her engagement ring ($$$$ :eek: )

This thread is going to be my planning / build thread once I get started, it is going to come slow at first but will pick up steam after the wedding is paid off. I will update this thread regularly (as regularly as I can) as I find information, I've been out of the game for a while so bear with me.

The Jeep will be a 2000 - 2001 XJ on 35's setup with LA's, gears, lockers, bumpers and some other cool stuff.

Body:

Winch bumper front, tire carrier / jerry can rear. (I have an "old school" Custom 4x4 bumper, that may be the best option all though I would like to get some better clearance out of it and mount LED lights to it) What is everybody's opinion on the "best" front and rear bumpers? The bumper needs to protect the rear quarter, as I plan on hacking the lower part of the rear rear quarter for more clearance.

Plated frame (this will have to be custom) http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1032348&highlight=currie+frame

2x4 REPLACEMENT rocker panels, tied into the frame

Suspension/Steering:

I have some Rubicon Express 5.5" coils, I have had them for five plus years (not on the rig) - do they lose any integrity over the years?

4" leafs and 1.5" shackles in the rear - what's the best options on these?

Long Arm setup - is Clayton still one of the best, if not the best option? RE?

Cross over steering (does anybody make a kit?) - my original plan was to put CJ inner knuckles on with D44 knuckles and flat steering

Who makes the best adjustable drag link?

Front (and?) rear big swaybars, with quick disconnects of course - is Addco still the best sway bar, and who makes the best quick disconnects?

Drivetrain

Minor engine upgrades initially, intake, chip, exhaust, throttle body, TB spacer.

SYE kit - who makes the best?

Now, here's where it's cool. I have an ARB "Super 30" kit left over from back in the day, which, should still be the best option. 30 spline alloy Dana 30 axles and an ARB locker. I also have a CRANE diff cover. In the rear, my 88 has a Dana 44, I have a Detroit for it, but I will prolly sell that and get an ARB. I also have 4.88 gears and install kits.

35" tires and black alloy wheels - it seems tires have gotten expensive, which I'm not to excited about, but it is what it is. Who makes the best cross over street/offroad tire. I loved the Goodyear MTR's I have.

Miscellaneous:

I want bigger/better brakes in the front (can be combined with the knuckle upgrade?)

I want to convert the rear to discs - who has a good setup for D44 discs?

I want the best possible front headlights, and I want steel LED's for the rear - does Formatt Fabrication still exist? (they did the ones on my 88)

I've seen these LED offroad light bars - does anybody have experience/input on them?

I think that's it. Thanks in advance for the help!!

Last edited:
I like your choice in beer (of which due to life happening I can no longer partake).

I see trouble ahead though: You've committed to posting a picture of your old jeep but not your new wife....BIG trouble.

Best wishes for your new endeavor(s)!

I like your choice in beer (of which due to life happening I can no longer partake).

I see trouble ahead though: You've committed to posting a picture of your old jeep but not your new wife....BIG trouble.

Best wishes for your new endeavor(s)!

:eyes:

I'm used to being in trouble. :laugh:

Thanks for the best wishes!!

Last edited:
you should really consider the full traction long arm kit over the TNT kit. Ive ran the TNT kit, ran drop brackets with adjustable arms, currently running some 3 link thing I made with Ruffstuff parts(cut down RE 5.5" coils) , and I have a full traction long arm(true 4 link) that I literally bought used and gave to my uncle for his build and out of all of them the full traction kit seems the best option . Ive also driven rigs on RE long arms, rustys long arms and lots of various short arms in the past. my second favorite was the drop brackets with adjustable control arms and some Stiff skyjacker 6" coils.

you should really consider the full traction long arm kit over the TNT kit. Ive ran the TNT kit, ran drop brackets with adjustable arms, currently running some 3 link thing I made with Ruffstuff parts(cut down RE 5.5" coils) , and I have a full traction long arm(true 4 link) that I literally bought used and gave to my uncle for his build and out of all of them the full traction kit seems the best option . Ive also driven rigs on RE long arms, rustys long arms and lots of various short arms in the past. my second favorite was the drop brackets with adjustable control arms and some Stiff skyjacker 6" coils.

The price is certainly better!

I really appreciate your input!!!

I had heard the last part of your info before (short arms on drop brackets).

:cheers:

My first project is going to be the front axle, steering, and brakes as I have many of the parts (the expensive ones at least) and I can do it with out having to have the Jeep.

HP Dana 30 (NEED)
Super 30 kit w/ARB (HAVE)
4.88 Gears (HAVE)
R&P Install kit (HAVE)
WJ Knuckles
One Ton Steering
WJ Calipers
Drilled Rotors: http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...IROR&Product_Code=IR-WFDSBR&Category_Code=WPA
HD LCA's: http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-lower-control-arm-axle-mount-11-degree.html
Raised trackbar mount: http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/PAN-OFF.html

WJ Knuckle Thread #2: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1087010&highlight=steering

I will post as soon as I get started!!

Last edited:
96939149dVuDNk_ph.jpg

Back