• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is a frame stiffener ever overkill?

jmsull

NAXJA Forum User
I've been reading about the frame stiffeners (the TNT look like they get a lot of attention around here), and it seems most poeple are using them with long arm kits and other heavily modified suspension set-ups. I have a '99 4.0L AT 242 3.55 31's, OME 2" with 2" BB get up to almost 4". I've noticed some creaking coming from the rear drivers side and I'm worried I'm stressing the unibody, not massive amounts, but might as well nip it in the bud, right?

I figure it can't hurt, but will it help?

of course it will help, how much i dont know, but it certainly cant hurt. throw in a decent cage too.

jmsull said:
I've been reading about the frame stiffeners (the TNT look like they get a lot of attention around here), and it seems most poeple are using them with long arm kits and other heavily modified suspension set-ups. I have a '99 4.0L AT 242 3.55 31's, OME 2" with 2" BB get up to almost 4". I've noticed some creaking coming from the rear drivers side and I'm worried I'm stressing the unibody, not massive amounts, but might as well nip it in the bud, right?

I figure it can't hurt, but will it help?
sure its not the leaf springs squeeking/ or the shackle bushing. is axlewrap making it squeek or bumps

judging by my old rig, my new one wont be built without one.

im still shopping this around so i cant comment on tnt's approach.

skyjackedxj96 said:
sure its not the leaf springs squeeking/ or the shackle bushing. is axlewrap making it squeek or bumps

I guess that could be worth looking at. I've got greasable shackles and bolts in the rear, so I don't think it's back there, it could be in the front of the leaf, I never found a greasable bolt for those two.

I do notice it happening when the suspension flexes from braking/acceleration, so axle wrap is a possibility.

As for squeeky springs, is there anyway to remedy this, or do I just have to live with it. They are OME if that helps.

throw in stiffeners, It can only help... cheaper to prevent a problem that it is to fix one

LilRedRover said:
throw in stiffeners, It can only help... cheaper to prevent a problem that it is to fix one

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!

Back