• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RuffStuff 3 Link Kit!

Out of curiosity I've heard using mounts like those on a XJ/MJ the arms will rub on the tire if mounted under the frame rail, is that true or would I have tomake a slight bend to clear the tires?

MJmanche-

A great question! From my experience and understanding from others who have wrenched on more XJ/MJ frames than I.... Front suspension you generally don't want to go as far as OUTSIDE of the frame for link mounts. I believe as long as you stay under the frame, or further inboard you don't run into any issues.

Now that is speaking to folks who are keeping stock axles, and just looking to upgrade the suspension to something stronger and maybe more flexible. However once you enter the realm of swapped axles, and custom building your 3 link/4 link/radius arm you start to have a lot more options. A wider axle would allow for a wider pair of lower links, or moving the axle-side link bracket closer to the center would also push links away from the tire.

The best way to get a better sense of what you can/cannot do, is to maybe put your truck on jack stands, then crank the steering all the way to one direction. Then lay under the truck with a tape measure, or any straight edge ~3-4 feet long, and just test it. Put one end at your stock lower link mount (on the axle side) and just bring the line back to the frame. That should illustrate for you how wide you could go with your existing axle/tire combo, and it is entirely possible that a slight bend gives you what you need. If so, we've got just the thing for you here:

Click on the pic to see the page for that for more details. I hope this helps, and feel free to PM me if you've got any other questions!

Thanks!

Back