• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ No Vent Fr. Windows in -'96 XJ

1DogRescuer

NAXJA Forum User
I've spent about a half hour Searching here, looking for TWO Door XJ '97+ @ jy, and tried Stealership for info .... No luck

My HOPE is to retrofit some later VENTLESS door glass into my '96. I was trying to find out how the guts of the '97+ doors differ from my '96. My door glass has ONE mounting hole to Regulator, and it appears that '97+ have TWO, which suggests that there is an additional [Track / Guide] inside of door.

I prefer not to cut a 1.5" hole in jamb to properly mount the '97+ Striker, and the other swaps that I've read about have been even less .... thorough.

If I can find out how the door internals differ, I can focus on sourcing the pieces to do the conversion to [My] standards. Could ANYONE shed any light on how '96- door internals differ from '97+, Please ? We are not supposed to Request Pics in this Forum, so feel free to PM or email any insights that you might have.

I have a source for New glass w/o Vent. The Window Channel felt is also available. The difference in Regulators / Tracks will be the hurdle, so if I just knew what to look for ... perhaps even tweak a Four Door assembly to add to my Two Door. Later '97+ Four Door XJs are Plentiful in JYs around here. Two Doors are Unicorns.

Thanks very much !

You Mean that You actually Have a 2 Door 96 XJ Cherokee w/ Operating Vent/Wing windows? Wow! I've Never Seen a 96 With Them!
Mine Has the Fixed Ones & I Hate Them!
Sure Wish you were Closer 'cause I'd Swap Ya!

About the Mounting Screws: IIRC the 94 thru 98 Have 2 Mounting Screws & they're in the Same Location. So they Should Be a Direct Swap.

What would you Want for Your Old Vent Windows & Could we Maybe Work Out a Trade? PM me & maybe we Can Make a Deal!
UncleSarge58

That's not what I said ... my '96 has Fixed Vent windows, as well [though I did pull a passenger side opening one at jy to put on eBay].

I want to eliminate Vent Window ENTIRELY

Thanks !

My door glass has ONE screw that fixes it to [manual] regulator. The new replacement glass that I have sourced online has TWO holes at bottom. Their information states '97-'01 ... but, I have found inaccuracies Painfully COMMON since undertaking this build.

REALLY Hoped to see doors w/o panels side-by-side, but, later 2 doors seem "unobtainium" in these parts.

Ohhh... Now I See the Look You're after. Just One Glass panel in the Doors.
Would Definitely Look & Function Way Better than the Fixed Non Vents.
Lot Cleaner Look.

From What I Remember, Most 2 doors were Sold to State & Fed Gov't Agencies. (ATF, Border Patrol, FBI, Federal Marshals, US Forestry Svc & Various State's Fish & Game Dept's) Especially the '96 Yr model.
Check Out the Bone Yards In SoCal Down in the Border Counties & Check out their Local Law Enforcement Bone Yards.

Also Check Here for 2 Door Parts: https://www.c2cfabrication.com/collections/jeep-cherokee-replacement-floor-pans.
They May be a Good Source for Other Parts too.

Hope this Helps.
Still Lookin for a Good, Complete, Set of Wing/Vent Windows for Mine.

I only paid $2500 for My '96 2 Door, back in 2006.
Body & Paint in Great Shape, Runs & Drives Great, But, Needs Floor Pans Bad!
Was a Beach Vehicle, on Topsail Island, on the Outer Banks of NC for 5yrs.

H3LL, Make Me an Offer on It & I Might Consider It.

Oh, By the Way I'm in Texas Now, For Work.

Unclesarge58

Swap the whole door

Back