• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Adapter Gastet Question

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
So my oil filter adapter is leaking. It only does it when its running but wow does it really leak on the highway. I am aware of the bit that I will have to purchase to unbolt it however I am told that one of the Fel Pro gaskets does not fit? Is this true? And if so Id like to know where to buy a proper fitting gasket set. 1998 Xj 4.0

My neighbor did it not too long ago. He bought a universal kit and one of the small gaskets was the wrong size.

He said it was 10 for that kit or 20 for the dealer kit

There's a member over at CC that sells a 'kit' for 5$

I think my set was $5 at the dealership. To unbolt the filter adapter, you'll probably have to get a little creative. Mine was held on with a T60 bolt, but there was no way to get a T60 socket in there. So I bought a cheap Torx set from Harbor Junk, secured the socket in a vise, and knocked the Torx bit out with a hammer and a punch. You can then place the bit in a small, closed end wrench (think I used my 12mm combo wrench. I prefer 6-pt wrenches for this vs. 12-pt.) A cheater pipe can be placed over the wrench to turn it. (This was necessary for me.)

I did mine a long time ago, but if I recall correctly, I had to remove the passenger motor mount to access the thing properly. Which was fine, because I changed the mounts anyway.

Last edited:
I make and sell a T60 tool to remove the bolt on the adapter. The tool makes this job a breeze... No wrenches on top of torx bits or removing motor mounts. I sell them at no profit as a favor to the forum. 25 bux shipped if you're interested.

17799260_1269936259769729_3572934355599275574_n.jpg

17799404_1269936333103055_7782031416417316948_n.jpg

I just did mine...Fel-Pro part no 70301.
Package says it fits 1971-1990, but mine is a 99 4.0L.
Ordered from RockAuto or SummitRacing.
Had to get creative with welding my T60 to a stubby wrench.

When I replaced my (much older 1988) filter housing gaskets I went to the local Jeep dealer with what I thought was the right part number for the two O-ring kit, because I couldn't seem to find anything online that was certain to fit. Once I got back home one of the O-rings (the smaller one IIRC) was the wrong size... I took it back to the dealer along with the old/correct O-ring, to try and find the right size, and the parts counter guy just matched it from the exact same O-ring box you see at Horror Fright. It's been solid and leak-free ever since.

Sorry all, I had midterms so I could not get back to you quickly. I checked that link, may work but I dont want to do the job twice. MudButt I will pm you about the tool. Thanks so much for the help everyone. Hopefully the o rings do the trick

Bought the O-ring set at the stealership today $27.27 with tax OTD. Parts stores only list one o-ring and looks like you'll need 3 of the 4 o-rings out of the Mopar kit Part Number 4720363. (Mine is a 2000 Classic) I'm doing them tonight along with injector o-rings and fuel supply line as well.

For futrue there is a member over at comanche club that sells correct o-ring 'kits' for 5$

Back