• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 XJ I6 Swap with a 99?

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
In theory I know they'll swap, if you swap EVERYTHING right? How far would I have to strip the motors down to make this work? Didn't know if the blocks and heads all had the right holes for everything to bolt back on. I'm talking striping the 99 motor down to the block and heads, then putting all the 91 stuff on it. Or would I even have to go that far? Thanks fellas!

Last edited:
Keep in mind you are crossing the dividing line for OBD-II to OBD-I. Any XJ 4.0 engine block will interchange with any other XJ 4.0 engine block. Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, throttle body, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets. The 91 and 99 heads should be enough the same to not need swapping.

flexplate/flywheels are the same and so are the water pumps. although with it torn apart replacing the waterpump and tstat is not a bad idea

plan on swapping all sensors, distributor and coil. aswell as assesory brackets

Back