• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 Grand Cherokee bushing

Bajajohn

NAXJA Forum User
The front lower control arm and bushing. Is this normal? Cherokee is on level ground. (Newbie - first post!)
bushing%20with%20red%20line.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

John

Yes the bolt is straight but the washers are not flush - photo below. It is supposed to be Rubicon Express arms

Last edited:
Yes it has an large adjusting nut about half way down the control arm. The nut is a little loose - I'll need to get a wrench to fit as it's larger than anything I now have.

Here is a photo of the washer under the head of the bolt, you can see it doesn't fill in the space on the frame bracket. It's about the same on the opposite side
where the nut is.

frame%20bracket%202.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

hrmm to me if the bolt is straight it shouldn't twist the end like that, what I was thinking is maybe its turned at the adj part that is causing the whole end to sit like that

If the other end of the arm s straight then it looks like someone didn't get them lined up perfect, but it's not the end of the world. That bolt is an eccentric bolt. The space isnt a big problem either, just make sure it's tight. Someone put it all the way to the end. Tighten the nut, not the bolt head (that's how you adjust it)

These are eccentric cam bolts. You can tell because the bolt head is offset rather than centered. This is done because those cam bolts and the corresponding slot in the frame is used to set alignment. Typically these are punched prior to removal and set back the same way to be close prior to an alignment. The way the bushing/control arm is angled suggests something may not be right, but an alignment will tell for sure. As with any control arm bushings, they should only be tightened with the weight of the vehicle on the tires. One cannot tighten them with the wheels hanging in the air.

The eccentric bolt explanation helps to understand it. We are taking it into an alignment shop this morning as it appears some other work on the suspension may need attention also. We appreciate the input.

Back