• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrades, upgrades!!!

Missiletech

NAXJA Forum User
Well,

I am looking around trying to find some deals on a few things. I have been working over a 66 impala the past few years for a "pretty" street/drag strip toy and now my girlfriends 1988, 190k, almost stock and no love XJ needs to start being a part of the family. I just put a 6.5" rough country kit the other day, and it handles great clears the 33s alright, needs a little fender "loving". I have an AA SYE and a CV shaft sitting in the garage waiting for fun.
Now for the other things, and I take recommendations mind you, I want to get some actual 4-wheel drive going, not the 2 wheel here and there open differential type 4wd. I have the original 30 and 35 going on and the original I-6 4.0 and whatever tranny.
I want to give the 4.0 some love, it paseed all the vacuum and compression tests but leaks bad and needs a new water pump, if I'm tracing the sound right. I wanna kick it up a notch, with cheaper quality upgrades or respectable junkyard options.
I also want to either get a rebuild or overhaul myslef the tranny, but I need more ideas with that. I got some quotes and lemme tell ya they were closer to $2000 than 1000, and my bulletproof 700r4 in my impala was $900 brand new. Any ideas or connections with that would be appreciated. I also wondered if a rebuild kit would be worth the $$ and effort for the t-case while I have it torn apart for the SYE?
Like I said before, I'd like some posi or locker action and some more strength for the diff front and rear. I like the 33s, and may do 35s but not any time soon as the impala still is in the works and my budget is... lame at best. But junkyard swaps or maybe something else I haven't considered, any info would help.
And well... anything esle you can tell me I'm a dummy for not considering yet, have at it. I appreciate all info and please ask questions if I left any important details out. Thanks alot everyone... peacE.

-SteVe

1988 XJ 6.5" Rough Country/33" TRXUS M/T Radials/AA SYE 190k mi.

sounds like your off to a good start - though id be wary of putting a locker in the stock rear end with 33's

im at 28.5" tires and will be running full width d44 and ford9" rear end in a few months - boy will that look funny...
the 4.0L is highly praised on this board, and short of stroking it (read $$$ and rebuild) there arent that many power mods - though 5-90 is in the process of making and working on a book - (the Jeep I-6 power manual) that i keep trying to come up with cash to but ($30?) that would be worthwile...

My therory is that anytime that something is apart - i really want to change everything there while im at it - meaning that i striped down my new axle completely, and though my ball joints, and wheel bearings arent bad - im going to shell out the 80.00 or whatever it costs to replace them - so i dont have to make a special even to replace parts...

the 2 best mods on my cherokee:
1 - NAXJA membership (and ability to search)
2 - Huskyliner Floormats - no matter what my lift, axles, gears, lockers, tires, cage, engine, tranny, t-case, driveshaft, lift, springs, or what not - they will always fit and do their job....

welcome to NAXJA

Back