• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Express sway bar links

Lkwelch

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I just installed a RE 3.5 inch super ride on an 89 XJ. The sway bar links that came in the kit required a spacer on the axle end and they didn't seem to line up properly when following the install directions. The drivers side went in as the instructions said but on the pax side I had to flip the spacer to make it line up. Just wondering if anyone has run into this before. Also it's the front sway bar.

Thanks

you got instructions with yours... must be nice. the extended sway bar links that came with a buddies 3.5" kit were far different than the quick discos RE gave me with my 4.5" kit 8 or 9 years ago... it took me a good while to piece together the links and hardware. mine made sense, his links seemed like they were cutting a bunch of corners.

anyways... before you put on the sway bar links, make sure the axle is properly centered and the track bar is installed. from there, double check that the sway bar itself is properly centered in its mounts. you should be able to push/pull it into position while twisting at the same time. a little grease may make it easier.

if it still doesnt line up, double check that the mounts on the axle arent bent.

and if it STILL doesnt line up... well, welcome to the RE club.

Thanks for the info VAhasnoWaves. I think that I will be just be joining the RE club. :)

The sway bar doesn't really have any wiggle room side to side on mine and the axle mounts looked straight. I moved the track bar by drilling a hole 3/4" towards the drivers side on the axle mount. And everything looks centered. I am getting the alignment done today so it may change some geometry afterwards.

Correction!

I guess after my test drive yesterday everything shifted into place. Just went outside to look at it and it was cocked the other direction. Flipped the spacer back to normal and viola it's good. Thanks for the help! All good info.

Back