• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Look Normal

futbol4x4xj

NAXJA Forum User
(If this thread needs to be move please do so.)

There is a loud pop in my front suspension when i turn to the right and go over bumps. Sounds like something gets caught and then releases cause of tension. But can't figure out what it is. Sounds kinda like the coils so i took these pictures to see if that was it. Any help would be great thank you...

Full flexed front driver. Suppose to be that snug of a fit? Rubbing on the "frame rails"

Jeep30005.jpg

Full extended passenger

Jeep30006.jpg

This is how I flexed it. And the whole front popped loud flexing and un flexing.

Jeep30007.jpg

Jeep30008.jpg

Jeep30009.jpg

Thanks again for all help. I really apperciate it.

Check your track bar where it mounts to the front axle. Both my cherokees did that. With it sitting have some one turn the wheel back and forth and watch the mounting point. You might see a little movement

I would bet that your track bar is set wrong and it is pushing the axle out the passenger side. When you flex it only exacerbates the problem. That could be why your coil is binding up.

How is the track bar suppose to be mounted? Was installed by desert rat i believe by the previous owner. there is about three threads showing at the top...

Looks like you have the extreme duty RE track bar. The instructions are here: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Img/Products/Pn/6/1796/PDF/Instructions/0.pdf
and say this about adjustment:

Before connecting bar to upper mount, center the vehicle over the axle by measuring the distance from front fender flare to tire on both driver and passenger sides of the vehicle, then adjusting vehicle until body is centered over the axle. The easiest way to accomplish this is to have an assistant turn steering wheel left or right as necessary.
You could also measure from a tread ridge that's the same on both tires to a spot on the frame around the spring or shock - something that's about the same on both sides of the jeep. I think that's what I did.

You might also want to make sure the front wheels are centered in the wheel wells - although it could be from being flexed the drivers side looks like it could move forward a bit.

If nothing else add some or more bumpstop so the tire doesn't drag on anything while it's stuffed and ideally can turn stop to stop. The idea is not to flex as far as mechanically possible but as far as practical.

Take a look at this article: http://members.aol.com/Stvns/XJhelp2.html It's an oldie but a goodie and discusses some of the principles of flex, bumpstops, etc..

Last edited:
Jeep30005.jpg

Not trying to hi-jack but I had a question based off of this pic. I have a RE trackbar and mount and my mount has a gap in between it and the framrail...sortof of like this pic, but worse and its on the other side and more towards the bottom of the mount (and its not because of the little lip where the mount bolts up on the top). Basically just doesn't sit flush. Anybody else have this problem?...much to worry about?

BTW, for the OP...I agree, I would make sure your axle is centered and make sure BOTH the trackbar at the axle and frame are tight, along with the mount. They all tend to get loose...

Back