• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a Cherokee Parts Interchange Manual

newjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I am new to the Cherokee Thing. Just bought my first 1993 Cherokee last week. I have searched high and low for a Cherokee Parts interchange manual, anybody know where this creature lives?? If there is not one availible would anybody be interested in helping create one?? Right now I am needing to know what year flywheels will fit a 93 4.0 with AW4, also need to know what all GM (cars and trucks) cruise control stalks will fit the 93 Cherokee. AC-Delco has a very nice site that I always used for GM Interchanges but I can't find nuthin for Jeeps. Please Help

Believe it or not, I'm actually working on one now - my second Jeep book. This isn't a week-end thing - I'm really working on making this thing as compleat as possible, and I'm expecting it to take the best part of a year or so (I'm really digging into this one - and you wouldn't believe the number of parts catalogues I have - aftermarket and OEMR...)

As far as your question goes, I'm confident in saying that flexplates (that's what they're called when they're in front of automatics - flywheels have clutches bolted to them...) from 1991-1995 will work, and the 1996-up *probably* will work - but I haven't verified that yet. The OBD-I and OBD-II CPS sensors are the same part - but I haven't checked the flexplates (the cranks swap handily, and the torque converters are also the same, as I recall.)

As for the steering column, from 1991-2001, they're ChryCo, not GM. The GM columns are in the AMC-era XJ's from 1984-1990. When ChryCo fully took over production, they put in their own electronics and started using their own parts for the interior. I'd be willing to bet that your key looks more like a Chrysler key than a GM... You've got one key that operates everything, right?

GM never had anything to do with Jeep production as a whole - which is why Delco isn't any help, and I'm writing this book.

If you'd like to suggest anything to be included in "Introduction to Swappology" (or my other book, if you get a copy,) stop by my Jeep Power group to ask questions or make suggestions - I'm always willing to listen!

Anything else I can help with?

5-90

You gonna be Da Man! Approx. when can we expect this interchange manual?? I am a used parts nut, I very rarely pay retail for any part. IN Arkansas there is always a hillbilly with yard decorations (wrecked cars) in their yard and will trade parts for beer, wine tobacco etc.. Being new to Jeeps I am having to learn what fits what. I will be the first in line to buy a copy. On the 93 Cruise Control Stalk Any ideas as to what Chrysler years and models will work? Will your interchange manual just be for Jeep to Jeep or will it show the Chrysler/GM/Ford/Toyota interchange parts as well?

I'm thinking it probably won't be anywhere near ready for first edition release until at least 1Q2006 - this is quite a project!

I'm going for as comprehensive a parts swap guide as I can - meaning anything and everything. That's part of what takes so long - I took about three months to write my engine book, but that needed less research (I could draw on experience.)

This isn't as easy a subject as building performance engines - there's a LOT more ground to cover! I'm trying to set it up as a "junkyard warrior's" guide - actually aiming it toward people like yerself. It's going to hit each chapters in two directions - what the part really does for you and why/how it works, and what you can use in its place.

By now, you can probably see why this is going to take me a while - I'm going after sheetmetal, electronics, drivetrain parts, alternate sources for standard parts, and anything else I can think of.

I never expected this to be easy, but since when is anything really good ever easy?

5-90

5-90 said:
As for the steering column, from 1991-2001, they're ChryCo, not GM. The GM columns are in the AMC-era XJ's from 1984-1990. 5-90
Are you POSITIVE about those years for GM supplied columns?

My 1992 for sure had a GM-supplied column, 'cuz I used GM parts to fix it when the tilt broke.

Once the airbag was introduced on the XJ, then Chryco began using their in-house designed and built column. That did not happen until about 1994 or 95.

I know for a fact that Gm was still supplying steering column parts for jeep till 94. I just swaped my column out of my 93 and not only did I use GM parts to refub the new column from a 93 I used part of the tilt from a blazer to fix my old column as a spare. all the insides are the same as standard GM. in 94 chrysler used their parts Im guessing cuz in a 94 its all differnt

I could be wrong - that's why all the research (I've not been dealing with a lot of interior parts lately...)

I know that AMC used Saginaw/GM columns until 1990, and that the 97-up coluumns are ChryCo - most interim columns I've seen look an awful lot like ChryCo columns, and use ChryCo keys and locks. I could be wrong - just because I haven't gotten into that section yet. I've been starting with the easier stuff - engines, transmissions, axles, and suchlike.

5-90

Up until the airbag was added the collum was a saginaw straight up... what they did was they used a chrysler style double sided cylinder that was made by Briggs & Stratton (BASCO) the cylinder will swap out with the old GM single sided key... my 88 has a new style double sideded ignition key that i did the swap on.. but the collums are still saginaws the whole time

Oh really? I'll have to remember that if I get some OBD-I XJ's - since I'm planning on rekeying my four RENIX to all take the same set of keys.

I don't really care for double-bitted keys (more moving parts, and you hope the key cut doesn't get screwed up - I've seen it happen,) but keeping track of four sets of keys gets a bit tedious. With several locks needing work anyhow, this just gives me a REALLY good excuse!

5-90

'Wife's 91 has chrysler column . . .

Don Becker said:
'Wife's 91 has chrysler column . . .
No it does not. Unless, of course, it was swapped out.

The SURE FIRE way to know if it's a GM column is any of the following:

1. the tilt wheel mechanism uses a small rod-type lever located below and behind the turn signal lever
2. the emergency flasher switch is a push-pull button on the side of the column near the ignition key
3. the cruise control switch is built into the end of the turn signal switch, and consists of a slide switch and a button on the end.
4. when disassembling the column to repair anything inside, you need the special "GM column lock plate compression tool" to remove the lock plate.

See if your wife's XJ's column has any of those features. I would bet "dollars to donuts" that your wife's 1991 has a GM column in it.

kevin s said:
My 90 XJ had two keys. My 92 XJ has one, as does my 98 ZJ.
What does mean?

one of two things.

If you need both of them to operate the vehicle...someone has changed either the door lock cyl, or the steering column.

If you only need ONE key....it means you have a spare. :D

5-90

its defently a good swap... it kind of confuses the steelership the one or two times i took it in to them for a safety inspection and they see a single key 88 XJ.... but thats how i like it

Anybody willing to help start compiling a list of parts that will fit xj's?? Any idea on what year and model GM I could get a cheap used cruise stalk from??

As far as the cruis control switch goes I know that the 1988 Jeep cruise switch works in a 1989 S10 Blazer. the switch from jeep was about $30 versus around $60 from GM go figure. A know it does not pertain to your situation but who knows, there are tons of blazers out ther that are jusk so you could probably get one to try for cheap. When you pull the old one out tie a string to the connector it will be easier to snake the new one through. trust me on this.
Kurt

wilcharl
I've been thinking about this for a while but wasnt sure it would work. so the cylinders swap no probs? did you just grab all the key cyl. from a donor for the doors, hatch, and glovy? my '90 eats keys like crazy. can you post a pick of the new cyl. in the old column?

I will shoot a picture tommorw its a direct swap no changes (the only differnce is the old style two keys cylinder had an allen screw to hold it the new style has a spring loaded thingie but the collumn will accept either style... it looks good I have not swaped any of the other locks out that was the next step... i needed a new lock cylinder at the time so i just replaced the ignition but i will go zap a picture tommmorw and post it

Back