• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake caliper favorites

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
Was just under the jeep changing the oil and noticed I have a leaky caliper on the drivers side. So naturally I’ll be sourcing a set this week. I’m not looking for anything more than a replacement, it’s not in the budget for anything fancy right now. I will however be Ponying up for a set of EBC green stuff pads for sure. As with most things anymore, quality is hit or miss with rebuilt or even new replacement parts. Does anyone here have any horror stories about one brand or another? Are the Omix ones worth the money? Do you know that any one brand is US made?

All the same for rotors too. Mine is a 96, I believe it has the composite rotors. I have a new set of the cast style ones that are slotted and cross drilled from an old project but I tried them on this jeep a while back and they didn’t fit.

Discuss below! :cheers:

Napa calipers and rotors is what I use. Put a couple of the calipers on my '96 that I used to own and the rotors with their pads on my '00. Just the regular NB line ones. But if and when I do rotors again am going to buy the UP line ones.

We sell a ton of caliphers and rotors nb rotors ss ceramic pads

I just get the autozone calipers cuz you know youll be replacing them prolly every few years lol
EBC makes some awesome brakes tho, I want a set of either yellow stuff pads or Black magic brake pads. havnt decided yet

I just get the autozone calipers cuz you know youll be replacing them prolly every few years lol
EBC makes some awesome brakes tho, I want a set of either yellow stuff pads or Black magic brake pads. havnt decided yet

I have the green stuff ones on there now with whatever rotors were on it when I bought it. This Jeep literally has the best brakes I’ve ever had on a Jeep. Hands down. Even soaked in brake fluid they’re good. I have no hesitation about getting another set.

I have the green stuff ones on there now with whatever rotors were on it when I bought it. This Jeep literally has the best brakes I’ve ever had on a Jeep. Hands down. Even soaked in brake fluid they’re good. I have no hesitation about getting another set.

im gonna have to upgrade pads soon. im gonna be doing a rear disk swap eventually but for right now my drums are pretty much useless and refuse to stay in adjustment. so stopping my xj on 33s can get sketchy sometimes lol

You think you could supply a napa part number for the “good set” of calipers? I’ll proba stop on my way home from work today to get prices from my local napa. They’re all VW guys that work there. Not Jeepers...

I just went with the SE4890 and the SE4891 on my '96. The almost fit every Jeep ever made. Come with a lifetime warranty. Not that you want to do this job twice. jeep ride might have other thoughts since I am guessing he works the counter and I just deliver the parts.

Only calipers I use anymore are Centric premium (hard to find but worth it). I used to run the NAPA Premium when they were rebranded Centric, tried to use their Eclipse house brand calipers on my TJ axle swap and had problems with sticking, just parts store junk now.

I just went with the SE4890 and the SE4891 on my '96. The almost fit every Jeep ever made. Come with a lifetime warranty. Not that you want to do this job twice. jeep ride might have other thoughts since I am guessing he works the counter and I just deliver the parts.

I am just a delivery man too worked counter for a while though the numbers ralph posted are correct unless you want stainless steel piston add an s to end of #

I am just a delivery man too worked counter for a while though the numbers ralph posted are correct unless you want stainless steel piston add an s to end of #

Ya know I never really could get a straight answer to that. Which if either is better? The plastic or the metal piston in the caliper?

Thanks everyone for your input!

I didn't get a chance to stop on my way home today at NAPA. I just looked on rock auto at the centric ones. The price is right after the core return. I've never gotten stuff with a core charge from them before. Hows that work? Do I need to pay shipping both ways? How fast do they credit you once they receive the core parts?

Metal is what they used to say but nowadays all you ever see is plastic They have lifetime warranty on them just keep your receipt

Only calipers I use anymore are Centric premium (hard to find but worth it). I used to run the NAPA Premium when they were rebranded Centric, tried to use their Eclipse house brand calipers on my TJ axle swap and had problems with sticking, just parts store junk now.

I had the same problem.

Thanks everyone for your input!

I didn't get a chance to stop on my way home today at NAPA. I just looked on rock auto at the centric ones. The price is right after the core return. I've never gotten stuff with a core charge from them before. Hows that work? Do I need to pay shipping both ways? How fast do they credit you once they receive the core parts?

They give you a fedex label to print, deducted from the refund, but its cheaper than what you can do as a consumer at retail shipping prices

Back