• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone use NAPA water pump #120042004 & running cool/normal?

I am running a Napa 42004 water pump. I installed it in November of 2015.

I don't know if a 120042004 is the same thing as a 42004. You will have to ask Napa that question. The only other thing the receipt mentions is that it is the "TFW" line, was a new water pump and cost $33.75.

I rarely make it up to 210. I probably run closer to 190 most of the time.

I would wonder if the pump you have is rotating the wrong direction for the impeller. I believe the new belt routing that came about in '96 reversed the rotation of the water pump. I suspect a pump could be mis-boxed and end up being the wrong rotation for the application.

About 190°-210° indicated on the dashboard gauge would be considered normal operating temps. Are you sure the temperature sensor is within specifications and not giving incorrect readings to the dashboard gauge ? Do you have an independent temperature reading from an IR temp gun pointed at the thermostat housing ?

Last edited:
@Anak,

Interesting! That's three people (myself included) that I know who are running cooler than normal with this pump.

I'm running around 175-182 on cold days, a bit better when it's warm out. Verified by IR reading.

I have the 42004 tfw on my 98 xj for the most part my gauge runs just a tick below 210 degree changed out a defrctive 42004 pump it was leaking it was on jeep for 3 years before leak gauge ran same then as now

Back