• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 Fluid

I don't see why not! I run AMSOIL motor oil, ATF, and gear oil in my XJ!

^What he said.^ The factory specified fluid for an AX-15 is a 75W-90 GL-3 gear oil. (Some of the owner's manuals will say GL-5. This is a mis-print, apparently.) The only readily available oil I know of that meets all these specs is MT-90.

From Novak's page:

Transmission Fluid

The factory manuals call for 75W90 GL-3 gear oil for the AX15 transmission. It is the experience of some that a 50W fluid provides quicker shifts and especially so in colder climates.

^What he said.^ The factory specified fluid for an AX-15 is a 75W-90 GL-3 gear oil. (Some of the owner's manuals will say GL-5. This is a mis-print, apparently.) The only readily available oil I know of that meets all these specs is MT-90.

Side note/edit: Checked an old bottle of MT-90 I have laying around. It meets GL-4 spec, but then right there on the side of the bottle "RECOMMENDED FOR: API GL-4/GL-3/GL-1."

MT-90 or MTL
when I run the mobil 1 10w30 it shifted ok... but I also drained a lot of synchro pieces out with it... supposedly the engine oil has something in it that makes the synchros brittle.

I tried a so called GL-4 save bottle and nearly destroyed a brand new transmission I rebuilt in less than an hour. Drained it and put in MT-90 14 years ago, and have done nothing but drive it since. When I drained it there was already a ton of tiny brass glitter in the so called brass safe GL-4 I tried. It was the only GL-4 I could find as no one seems to make GL-3 labeled fluid anymore.

look on the bottle and see if it says yellow metal safe. GL-4 should be ok but id really take a look at it

MT-90 or MTL

Ditto. Do NOT use GL4 or GL5 as the sulfur based EP additives will eat the brass synchros. I actually used half/half MTL and MTL90 in my 89.

When I bought my MJ, the dealer said it needed a clutch - easy enough I thought. I later found the receipt for a clutch in the glove box later, so the previous owner had already paid a shop to do the clutch and traded it in after realizing the synchros were shot.

Anyway, I started with cheap Napa Brand GL4 after I rebuilt the tranny, intending to drain and refill with the good stuff after a week. It shifted so bad I thought I screwed up the rebuilt. I changed to the MTL/MTL-90 mix and it shifted beautifully. Drive it for about 3 years before the pilot bearing seized in the crank and took out the tranny input bearing 30k miles later. That's when the MJ became an automatic since I had an AW4 sitting in the garage.

i usually get my redline off amazon or summit (summit is next day shipping for me) I thought about switching to amsoil but am Leary to because I know the redline is good stuff.

I was able to get enough to do a fluid exchange. I work at a Mazda dealership and the Miata guys call this stuff unicorn juice and they have brass syncros. So I'm guessing if its safe for them it should be safe for me too.

Redline mtl is what I put in mine after I put a used transmision in it after the syncros were ate up I didnt heed the warnings of the GL3 gear oil storys.

SDS sheets show no hazardous ingredients in MT-90 (if you believe that) the Penzoil Synchromesh has a zinc...-di-thio... (Thio meaning sulfur) compound in it, so I would not trust it. It was Penzoil GL-4 (or 3?) that ate mine in 2006!!!

SDS sheets show no hazardous ingredients in MT-90 (if you believe that) the Penzoil Synchromesh has a zinc...-di-thio... (Thio meaning sulfur) compound in it, so I would not trust it. It was Penzoil GL-4 (or 3?) that ate mine in 2006!!!

I personally have not had and issue with it and I have over 320k on my AX15.
If I can find MT90 when I do my change before summer I will use it because the after I hit the 300k mark the trans seems to be running a little warmer than normal.

Back