• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wandering on the road. Alignment? Steering box?

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
So going to beat an old horse to death but never had to deal with this and the internet is full of garbage. Specs on the jeep. 01, LP d30. 4.5” lift. Stock control arms with RE control arm drop brackets. Stock steering (in good shape) Steinjager adjustable trac bar.

I’ve got some odd wandering with this thing. Especially bad in the snow.

Lots of what I found online is check caster.

When i installed the lift I didn’t use and shims. So the UCA’s are all the way back in the pocket.

I checked on the go jeep page and according to that my caster is just about perfect.

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoAlignment.htm

Also a couple pics of my measurements. First pic is on the flat by the diff. Second pic is on top of the ball joint.

Any ideas.?

483853d6813fb3f41752c760e00758e7.jpg

63c7790790c49b66d60ea25a337164be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those readings are only accurate if your rig is sitting on a level surface.

I would check the toe-in, it definitely affects drifting/wandering. After that you need to "actually" check all the tre's for play and the steering box!

I would take that thing to an alignment shop and get a true alignment.

mac 'that harbor freight tool is sketchy' gyvr

Id say add a few more to caster and check toe, think most are happy with 1/4-3/8" toe in. Second take it to a real alignment shop.

Those readings are only accurate if your rig is sitting on a level surface.

That is in my garage. Pretty dang level!

I would check the toe-in, it definitely affects drifting/wandering. After that you need to "actually" check all the tre's for play and the steering box!

I've had the wife turn the wheel back and forth and checked all tie rods after lift. I didn't look at the box itself just TRE at the pitman arm.

Whats the best process for checking the box? Just watching it for play in the shaft?

That's the plan. I figured for $5 if it was crazy off i could do most of it myself.

That is in my garage. Pretty dang level!

I've had the wife turn the wheel back and forth and checked all tie rods after lift. I didn't look at the box itself just TRE at the pitman arm.

Whats the best process for checking the box? Just watching it for play in the shaft?

That's the plan. I figured for $5 if it was crazy off i could do most of it myself.
Yep have her work wheel with tires on ground. Should be able to see frame flex looking at frame above front driver tire

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Agreed. Toe and steer-ahead are about the only angles that are adjustable on these rigs. Well, EASILY adjustable anyways. A good alignment shop should also shake down the front end to find any issues that might cause a problem with an alignment- or how the vehicle drives broken or loose parts, worn ball joints or bearings, that sort of thing.

Back