• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure drops under hard acceleration

chemsolder

NAXJA Forum User
Just got back from a 600mile round trip with no issues. Now today when I drove the Jeep the oil pressure was dropping to nothing under hard acceleration. No other symptoms other than the check gauge light and the drop on the pressure gauge. If you take it easy the pressure stays up. Ideas? I did check the oil level and it was good running rotella and a motircraft filter,could the filter be colapsing when the demand goes up?

Less than 6k miles ago I checked clearances on the mains when I changed the rear main seal and they were well within spec.

First you have to confirm the gauge reading with a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Or, since oil sending units are not very expensive, try swapping in a new one.

First you have to confirm the gauge reading with a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Or, since oil sending units are not very expensive, try swapping in a new one.

^^ This. Mopar sending units tend to work where others don't.

I generally prefer Mopar for things like this, but when I swapped my gauge cluster from idiot lights, I had to replace the oil pressure sending unit. I used a Standard Motor Products (SMP) sender, and it worked well.

For the rear temperature sender, I used an aftermarket unit (can't remember the brand) and it didn't work. Swapped it out for Mopar, and temp gauge worked perfectly.

So ... I guess the point is, you can't go wrong with Mopar sensors and senders.

Or you are sucking up something foreign in the oil pump pickup. That is a long shot, but I have seen it before. Shop rags left in oil pan.

Thanks guys. Think it may be the sender not sure, drove it a little yesterday and it was not doing it. Thought about it and realized it only started the issue after being warm for a while, 1hr trip. My bewilderment is still why would it only act up under hard acceleration. So right now i will replace the oil pressure sender and filter.

If it continues and I drop the pan again I will go ahead and replace the oil pump, just for piece of mind.

Thanks guys. Think it may be the sender not sure, drove it a little yesterday and it was not doing it. Thought about it and realized it only started the issue after being warm for a while, 1hr trip. My bewilderment is still why would it only act up under hard acceleration. So right now i will replace the oil pressure sender and filter.

If it continues and I drop the pan again I will go ahead and replace the oil pump, just for piece of mind.

When the oil pressure sending unit on my 01 XJ started to fail, it would randomly peg at 80 right when I pulled up to the garage door to park. The other way I've seen them fail is to get low over time. I had success with NAPA Echlin in my 01, but in 97 they didn't work right so I returned it and got a Mopar which works fine.

It could also be a poor connection for the sender wire somewhere. Both my temp and oil gauges did the same thing until I fixed the ends that had broken wires in them only being held together by the insulation.

Back