• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped threads for p/s bracket

my2monkeys

NAXJA Member
Anyone have this happen? The long bolt that screws into the intake manifold to hold the p/s pump and bolts to the water pump.

I noticed it just turned with my finger when I touched it and it was already in as far as it could go.

Must have been like that for a long time. I can't see a crack in the aluminum intake.

Any fixes you guys can think of?
picture.php

Heli-Coil.

I was thinking about drilling all the way thru and putting a longer bolt plus a nut on the end.

That is what I had to do on the bolt closest to you in the picture.

But, I'm afraid of the aluminum manifold cracking or something because the thread boss for the fuel rail intersects closely w/the p/s bolt threads.

So tapping sounds better.

Heli-coils are great if they are put in properly. I've seen many screwed up. I'd suggest kicking it up a notch by using a Keensert (or other similar brand of solid, instead of wire insert.

The advantage is that you don't need a special heli-coil tap and inserting tool. The other thing is that it is easy to get a heil-coil in wrong. Trying to get it out is tough.

A solid insert is also more robust when the bolt may be removed and re-inserted multiple times in the future.

A heli-coil is cheaper if you already have the tap and inserting tool, but the solid insert uses a standard tap and can be inserted with a screwdriver.

http://www.bjg-design.com/designbook/pdfs/INS-KNS-KNS.pdf

Back