• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on my long arm

wheelinscott

NAXJA Forum User
So over the past weekend I picked up my Teraflex long arm from Art101 (thanks Art!) to get ready to put on the jeep. Here's a link to it.

http://www.teraflex.biz/products/xj-cherokee-long-arm-upgrade.html

Now I knew what I was getting into BEFORE I bought this, but I knew I there was potential with it. I also got some UCA as well. I believe they are rustys fixed uppers with the rubber bushings. So a couple of ideas I had that I 1: wanted to get your opinions and 2: get other suggestions.

So I was thinking about doing a "Y link" set up for it. This would involve me beefing up the frame mount some how. And then welding the uca to the lca like they do with TNT RE etc. I would have to cut the ucas and weld joints to them and make them adjustable or just get new adjustable ucas.

or do a three link and get a new arm made. They both need to be adjustable because I do not know if my jeep is going to sit at this height or what at the moment.

I am on a budget. Im moving to Utah in a few months and Im trying to save money for this. Also I DD my jeep so it cant be down forever so this needs to be built well.

So any opinions/suggestions things I need to look out for? Also look at my sig for how my jeep sits right now.

heres what I was thinking for links for the UCA's

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Flex-Joints_c_12.html

I would just build a third arm, a frame end mount for it, and make it a three link. Just my opinion though. If I could take a good look at the lower arms you already have, it might change my mind though. It really would depend on how solid and big around those lowers are. I mean if they are beefy enough for it, then you could make a y-link. However, the 3 link will flex better, and be easier to fab.

Thanks for your input Justin. I have a picture on my phone but ill take a good picture tonight and measure it. The lower arms are real beefy, I believe they could handle the Y link set up. The lower arm brackets are the weak link I see. I would love to do a three link, but I think it would be a more difficult job then welding mount brakets to the lower arms.

Heres a link to a converted 3 link from about post 20 on.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=983222&page=2

If you just made a crossmember that attached both of the frame end brackets together, I think you could easily incorporate another mount into the crossmember that would work alongside the Driveshaft. However, you could just do a radius arm (Y link) style setup, and just beef up the brackets that you have.... I would still look into bracing them with a crossmember I think.

whats the benefit of only lengthening the lower arms and keeping the uppers stock? doesnt that mess with the rotation of the axle during droop and stuff?

bluejeepkid- this is the whole reason Im modifying this kit. It causes major bind in the arms and can cause the pinion to get into bad angles.

Lil red wagon- so the frame mount would you incorperate it into the crossmember for the upper link? Or for both or what? sounds like its for the lower links. Thanks for the links and input.

x2elite- Im for sure making a crossmember to go with the brackets. also here is the arms.

the arms are 1.75" wide
DSC01223.jpg

DSC01224.jpg

DSC01225.jpg

I was really suprised at the beef of the arms when they are in person.

So for a Y link system would i have to mount the upper arms in any specific spot or just to where the length is sufficient?

Thanks again guys for you input, keep it coming!

the arms are definately beef... i think they are outside diameter of 1.75 and quarter wall, if i remember right...

i sure hope you figure out a good way to make them work

i wasnt creative enough to make them work well, i just gave up and went with the TNT kit

good luck scott

Thanks Art.

Ya I hope this turns out well. Ill probably make this the build thread for it as well when I get ready to start this undertaking.

Haha good idea steve!!

So today I decided to get started on building this long arm. I decided to do a "Y-link" system because its going to to busy easier (at least it sounds easier in my mind).

So I needed to cut my upper arms to figure out what tube adapters to order.

So here are the rusty upper arms.
DSC01243.jpg

Getting ready to cut
DSC01247.jpg

No turning back now
DSC01248.jpg

Ok so here is the arm cut off and some measurements.

DSC01249.jpg

DSC01250.jpg

DSC01251.jpg

DSC01252.jpg

So I was leaning towards doing balistic fab joints and adapters, but I was hearing the turn around was really slow. Any other suggestions??

Ill post more when I do more.

I've got those same uppers. Thanks for the measurements. They're beefier than I thought.

Ok so upon further investigation the only tube adapter i can get need and inside diameter of 1" so that means i would have to bore out the end. I know it would weaken it, but i would do what i can to weld the strength into it. does anyone know where i can find a smaller one?

So....
You've got a chopsaw. Wanna get together tomorrow or Monday and "shorten" my Rustys uppers?

I may make them non adjustable. I only plan on lifting another inch or so, so i can cut to plan on that.

will, let me find out my schedule this week and if you want to shorten them let me know. i work a few nights this week though.

what about saturday? my joints havent come in yet, but i think i could at least do the rest on saturday.

anyone else can come as well. it will be here at my work, but ill have all my fab tools and stuff here. also some metal. ill just need to get approval but it shouldnt be a problem.

looks like i need to get some hardware for the long arm brackets this week. and then pick up the rectangle tube as well.

Aw that sucks. I gotta work Saturday. I already had to bail on other Scottsdale paintball.

Back