• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 Fluid

SDS sheets show no hazardous ingredients in MT-90 (if you believe that) the Penzoil Synchromesh has a zinc...-di-thio... (Thio meaning sulfur) compound in it, so I would not trust it. It was Penzoil GL-4 (or 3?) that ate mine in 2006!!!

I though the ZDDP was preferable to using the sulfur-phosphorus based EP additive in GL-5? The main issue with GL5 is that it uses about twice the EP additive and uses sulfur-phosphorus compounds which increases the wear on the synchros and actually becomes corrosive to brass if it you overheat it. Plus, the extra EP additives reduce the friction at the synchros too much so that you get poor shifting and the extra slippage adds to the wear on the synchros.

Ah, ha, that makes sense, I had no idea it was too slippery and that made it wear the brass, very interesting, but I can see that.

The Penzoil SDS showed 5% (IIRC) and it was a Zinc ...thio-phosphonate (thus a sulfur phosphorus).

The new engine oils have gone from ZDDP to IIRC ZDPP? or some modified molecule similar to ZDDP but has less phosphorus.

I thought the zinc was the problem with killing the cat converters that EPA had issues with, but later learned a lot of the problem is the phosphorous (diesel oil has too much of that and kills Cats to...) (or maybe both?)

But now you have me wondering what the GL-5 EP additive is?

I though the ZDDP was preferable to using the sulfur-phosphorus based EP additive in GL-5? The main issue with GL5 is that it uses about twice the EP additive and uses sulfur-phosphorus compounds which increases the wear on the synchros and actually becomes corrosive to brass if it you overheat it. Plus, the extra EP additives reduce the friction at the synchros too much so that you get poor shifting and the extra slippage adds to the wear on the synchros.

Back