• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pump issues

Cwayne59

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I installed a new water pump on my 99 xj the other day and for some reason the pulley is rubbing on the water pump housing on the lower hose side. You can still turn the pulley but you can feel some slight resistance where it's rubbing. The pulley worked fine on the old water pump.

I'm not sure what to do in this situation, so if anyone has some insight I would greatly appreciate it.

I learned to use dealer pump on my Jeep. For some reason two different part store units and a high performance one from summit racing all made the belt track incorrectly and caused belt noise. Tired of changing pumps I went dealer and no issues for about 50k miles.

The pulley just fits on the water pump hub and you put 4 bolts in to hold it on. There is no adjustment. Try another brand water pump, like a Mopar one. :) They work perfectly, always spin in the right direction, and last a long time.

I used an AC/Delco pump, and it was really impressive. Well made, heavy, smooth as butter. No pully rubbing. At the part store, I first tried to buy an A1-Cardone, and I was amazed at how cheap it was.

If you don't want to swap out your water pump, maybe you can grind the pump housing a little where the pulley rubs? Or you could maybe put some washers on the studs before you put the pulley on? That would shim out the pulley a little.

Just thinking off the top of my head here.

Also, please tell us what brand of pump you are dealing with, so we can be sure to avoid buying that ourselves.

I had that same problem with Autozone water pumps during installation on one and wobble side to side and rubbing on one that was only 2-3 months old. Cheap bearings and poor assy quality.

I switched the Bosch water pumps from Rock auto for my Renix jeeps about 8 years ago, no issues since. Both have been working great for about 8 years now.

I got mine on a close out I think, dirt cheap at the time too. If you can find Bosch I would use them. I also used Bosch for a fuel pump recently with great results on my Renix.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I put put some washers on temporarily. Seems to be fine now but I'm going to pull this one off and get a One from the jeep dealership this week.

It's the carquest water pump. So from my experience I wouldn't recommend it. You would think that these companies could at least get the dimensions correct so that their parts actually work.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I put put some washers on temporarily. Seems to be fine now but I'm going to pull this one off and get a One from the jeep dealership this week.

It's the carquest water pump. So from my experience I wouldn't recommend it. You would think that these companies could at least get the dimensions correct so that their parts actually work.

Advance is notorious for poorly fitting parts. Advance is Car Quest. I don't like paying for dealer parts but the fact is they just work out of the box. Our local dealer price matches any online dealer which helps.

Had the same problem with one from AutoZone, took it back to exchange. Guy pulled out another box with same part number, and it had a different style housing that worked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Had a premium from Baxter's, and O'Reilly both made the belts track crooked. Bearing or something was not square in the bore so the pulley was not square to the rest of the pulleys. Same with a aftermarket high volume from Summit racing.

One of my buddies told me I should grind down the pulley a little bit but I'm not so sure about doing that. I called to order the pump and it's like double the cost of one from the parts store. I went a head and ordered it so hopefully advance will take the pump back.

One of my buddies told me I should grind down the pulley a little bit but I'm not so sure about doing that. I called to order the pump and it's like double the cost of one from the parts store. I went a head and ordered it so hopefully advance will take the pump back.

Part was defective out of box, should be no problem.

Back