• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan issue

sinat01

NAXJA Forum User
So just dropped a new 4.0 in the XJ
1999 XJ 4.0
AX-15 trans
no cruise, power windows etc
Does have AC (but doesn't work)
My issue is this, I bought a new electric fan due to breaking the mounting tabs on my stock one. when I hooked it up it wont work. I checked the wires, fuses and relay spots and the plug is not getting power.
It always came on when I turned either the AC or defroster on, Or when it hits about 218ish.
Are the wires known to break in any particular spots?
I figure the fan is good just not getting any power at the plug at all.

Hot wire the fan and make sure it works, new or not. Defective AC, no refrigerant pressure may be keeping the PCM from powering the AC / Deforst and thus the Efan. Does PCM see the coolant temp getting over 222 F? If not the coolant is not yet hot enough according the CTS for the PCM to enable power to the Efan

As suggested, test the e-fan. Malfunctioning A/C or defective A/C parts will have no effect on e-fan function. Either there is a problem with the fan, or a problem with the e-fan wiring circuit.

Disconnect the wire plug from the Coolant Temperature Sensor, the e-fan should start and run if the e-fan electrical circuits are functional, regardless of the actual coolant temperature. Wire harness issues are common.

Last edited:
Hot wire the fan and make sure it works, new or not.

Ok, I will try that tonight when I get home and see what happens

When you apply the hot wire to the fan, make dang sure the fan is secure (as in screwed down)...that fan can torque right out of your hands and hurt you.

Sincerely,

3 Fingered Jack (nickname - Stumpy)

Back