• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lining up new torque converter w/ flex plate?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I am under the impression that when you take the TC & flex-plate off the Jeep, you should make a mark, so you can put them back together and keep everything balanced.

However, I am installing a new TC and flex-plate. Is there anything I need to be aware of when I put them together for the first time?

Thank you

Hey guys,

I am under the impression that when you take the TC & flex-plate off the Jeep, you should make a mark, so you can put them back together and keep everything balanced.

However, I am installing a new TC and flex-plate. Is there anything I need to be aware of when I put them together for the first time?

Thank you

No need to mark anything.

Make sure the t/c is fully seated on the trans before you lift the tranny into place. Keep rotating it and you should feel it drop down twice as there are two sets of splines that need to engage. It should be sitting below the edge of the bell housing (3/4" as I recall?). If you don't get it all the way on and just start cranking on the bellhousing bolts, you'll damage the pump in the front of the tranny. Once the bellhousing is bolted up the t/c will normally have some room to move front-back play until pull it up against the flexplate with the bolts.

If you haven't already, remove the crank sensor so you don't smush it during reinstallation.

I like to measure how far the flexplate sticks out from the engine and how far the tc is in from the bell housing.
Keep an eye on how far the new tc is pulled back out once mated. Anything bigger than a 1/4 inch and you should run a washer or two between the tc and flexplate, you could risk having minimal contact with the trans pump.

The spacing between the bolts is slightly different in the flexplate where it bolts to the crank. Make sure and rotate until all the holes line up. There is no orientation on the flexplate to the torque converter.

Here is the best advice you will ever read.
Push that piece of crap torque converter in. and rotate as you go.
when you go to re-mount the engine you will thank me.
it seats further into the bell housing than you would think.
I thought mine was in.
dropped engine in,
would not line up or seat. took me 2 days to figure it out.
and a lot of frustration..

Back