• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Renix Cherokee cooling problem.

My'89 has no electric fan too. Don't think they were OEM at all at that time.

I think the extra electric fan depended on whether you had a/c. My 89 MJ doesn't have one, but it started life as a stick with no a/c.

Posters issue with stalling at stops might be the idle air controller or possible TPS. Could also be TPS sensor causing issues with starting up from a stop.

Im in central avrada, ill chexk out those forums you tagged
I'm in Golden, just a hop-and-skip from Arvada. I have time on the weekends to give it another set of eyes. :cheers:

" I feel slippage on the pedals( especially on hills)" ???

Are you trying to say the engine bogs down when you give it gas, or the engine revs way up when you give it gas?

[/B]

It wouldn't climb up the curb to my garage without a lot more gas but the rpms would more bounce rather than shoot up

Last edited:
Posters issue with stalling at stops might be the idle air controller or possible TPS. Could also be TPS sensor causing issues with starting up from a stop.

I took the TB off cleaned it cleaned the IAC. tested and adjusted the TPS it all checked checked out. it ran great until about an hour later I was on the way to emissions when I came to stop light and noticed it wanted to die while on the brake at an idle. when taking off I noticed it felt like 1st gear or something was not grabbing and would feel like something was slipping until I got it up to 10 MPH

Slipping is just not the right word for it. It is not your transmission or Torque converter. It is a lack of power on take off you are describing near as I can tell.

Your year, 87-90 is notorious for weak grounds causing many problems, including yours, easy free fix..... Grounds that the engine computer sensor depends on for accurate data and ability to deliver power and acceleration.

You test and locate and fix any bad ground connections between the sensors and the battery negative post first.

The TPS may be worn out and causing your problem. Test it after the grounds are verified or fixed.

The Vacuum line from/to the MAP sensor may be just a little loose at the throttle body connection or damaged and leaking vacuum in between. It must air tight!!!!! Super sensitive.

O2 sensor heater may not be working at idle (Sensor or damaged wiring or bad O2 sensor relay..) and thus does not work right on take off from a stop.

I have 4 renix (87-90) Cherokee jeeps I have had for 6-13 years now and I have never fixed this problem, even, with a new IAC Idle air controller. It has always been a bad ground, TPS, MAP sensor vacuum line leak, or ignition stuff like fouled/worn plugs, bad Distributor, bad Dizzy cap and rotor or dying spark computer, ICM, under the HV coil. A bad IAC will not cause hesitation when you stomp on the gas pedal!!!

All of these can be tested with out spending a dime, by using a volt meter, DVM to test the sensors and wiring.

Best right ups, step by step for testing these is on cruiser54 's web site. Nice neatly organized!!!!

http://cruiser54.com/

Low fuel pressure, lack of flow is also a possible issue, but at this point it is at the bottom of the list.

A bad ground is very common!!!

A leaking vacuum line the MAP #2.

A bad TPS or TPS ground third and almost a tie with #2.

And not far behind 2 and 3 is a weak spark from the ICM to the Dizzy parts the plugs.

Hypoid and Lawsoncl know these rigs well too.

It wouldn't climb up the curb to my garage without a lot more gas but the rpms would more bounce rather than shoot up

Make sure the Vacuum line from the passenger side of the throttle body that runs to the MAP sensor on the firewall did not come loose when you worked on the IAC!!!! Also make sure you got the vacuum line and the little rubber two hole thing in the right holes, :shiver: since you say you removed :shiver: the throttle body. It is easy and common to knock them loose there.

A faulty or failing TPS can cause the Trans to act funny.

A faulty or failing TPS can cause the Trans to act funny.

Very good point!!!! And a bad/noisy/intermittant ground wire to the TPS can do the same!!!

You make a very good point, and I will add that the 87-90 Renix jeeps have a 2 part TPS, with two independent ground wires and two independent output signals (It is actually two sensors picky backed on each other). One side can be OK and the other side forked up!!!! The factory manuals never ever understood that both sides of the sensor should be tested at WOT, IDLE and for a noisy sweep output voltage. Also the ECU input signal is not the same and the grounds are not the same!!!

Oh, and they hate WATER!!!

Last edited:
They hate water boarding too, LOL. They are just never the same afterwards.

Yeah, tried to teach one to swim.
:)

LMAO!!! After replacing the thermostat(HE PUT A 160 IN) put a 195 it ran fine until it wouldn't get up the hill, I Limped er home but didn't really get enough time to diagnose what was going on . I get under it today finally, due to the forums(and my terrible English) I wasted a whole day checking the entire vacuum system and probing all the sensors....Again. Lol go the right of the block to check with the thing running. Wire #s 3 and 4 are worn and arcing to the block. LOL, I should've just listened to my gut. I'm new to the older Cherokees and just a little inexperienced with them. A mix Of bad English and rushing for Emission made this a bitch. Moral: slow down take your time and listen to your heart.

I already checked cruisers site before posting this thread and did everything suggested, that's why I was skeptical of it being a sensor or ground connection or something.

Last edited:
Wires 3 & 4 on the O2 sensor??

If yes, then I was right it was a sensor, and a wiring issue (ground problems are wire issues, and wire issues affect snsor signals, thus checking one should check the wires first!!). Besides yo know what condition most everything is in :cheers:

But, have you confirmed you 100% fixed the original complaint?

LMAO!!! After replacing the thermostat(HE PUT A 160 IN) put a 195 it ran fine until it wouldn't get up the hill. I get under it today finally, due to the forums I wasted a whole day checking the entire vacuum system and probing all the sensors....Again. Lol go the right of the block to check with the thing running. Wire #s 3 and 4 are worn and arcing to the block. LOL, I should've just listened to my gut. Im new to the older Cherokees and just a little inexperienced with them. A mix Of bad English and rushing for Emission made this a bitch. Moral: slow down take your time and listen to your heart.

I already checked cruisers site before posting this thread and did everything suggested, that's why I was skeptical of it being a sensor or ground connection or something.

Wires 3 & 4 on the O2 sensor??

If yes, then I was right it was a sensor, and a wiring issue (ground problems are wire issues, and wire issues affect snsor signals, thus checking one should check the wires first!!). Besides yo know what condition most everything is in :cheers:

But, have you confirmed you 100% fixed the original complaint?

Nah the distributor wires,, I literally was only o 4 cyl, maybe less, which would explain the problem. new wires, cap, n rotor and no more rough idle or lack of power. The O2 Sensor is literally broken in half,, so yea i guess its a lil broken. :dunce::laugh2:

and yea everything is fine, you are correct: IT NEVER HURTS TO CHECK EM A SECOND TIME.

Interesting, an odd, as my 89 when I bought it had a blown head gasket leaking between cyls 3 and 4 only. Idled like crap (only had 4 working cylinders) but it was a beast under load, acceleration, tons of power.

No working O2 sensor limits your power to a limp mode.

Back