• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best OEM-like Carpet?

Crist Clapper

NAXJA Forum User
1987 Wagoneer-XJ-Limited

Ready to purchase carpet for my restoration. Considering ACC's Essex with the upgraded backing. Experiences good and/or bad? Tips and hints?

I used www.stockinteriors.com. They had reasonable prices, ver4y nice quality carpet, a ton of colors. The molded fit was right on the money, and there was enough extra to be able to trim the edges to fit perfectly.

One word of caution. I would not recommend the Mass backing, which is an extra cost option. It makes the carpet just too stiff to easily install. Instead, buy a couple of rolls of their foil faced insulation pad, and use the standard backed carpet. Price works out to about the same, and the installation is a lot easier.

David Bricker / SYR

I will add another argument against the MASS backing: It looks to me like a water trap.

This may not be an issue for a nicely garaged vehicle, provided it never gets driven in inclement weather, but I can see this doing a good bit of damage in most instances.

Not sure why companies like Bed Rug do not make a kit for the XJ. These kits for Wrangulars are fitted and just held in with Velcro I think. That way you can pull it out and clean it easily when it gets wet and or muddy. Maybe if a bunch requested a kit....

Not sure why companies like Bed Rug do not make a kit for the XJ. These kits for Wrangulars are fitted and just held in with Velcro I think. That way you can pull it out and clean it easily when it gets wet and or muddy. Maybe if a bunch requested a kit....

ACC is the only one with the mold, that's why.

Back