• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vanilla Latte build

wvredxj

NAXJA Forum User
This is my third xj build. First one was a complete bolt on credit card jeep way back in 2006 with a Clayton 8" longarm and 35's. Jeep was fun, and i became hooked:
qa9WFiC.png

In 2008-2009 i built my next one. One tons, atlas, 14" fox coilovers, stretched, caged, full hydro steering, originally on 39" red labels:
CcmPrWR.png

then came the 42" sxII's, then 44" boggers, then cut boggers, then cammed 5.3l with bolt on's and a 4l60e:
2fPHhB2.png

TzZSq0W.jpg

MJAhKI5.jpg

Z1k9rQH.jpg

l9Rb3mO.jpg

sYjktBo.jpg

and now Vanilla Latte. This jeep is what i met my wife in 12 years ago. This was hers in college, and then i drove it for a while. It was a pristine stone white classic. During the recent years as a work vehicle it did have a few bruises added to it, and at 180,xxxk miles it needed a refresh. So i built some bumpers, threw a bb lift and some 31's on it and monstalined it sands panties (vanilla latte as i call it). Then we built some sides out of 1/8" metal and i bent some tube flairs. It was driven for a while and parked. After putting that much time in the body, i knew it needed something, just didnt have a plan till now.

Since this jeep has been around this family for so long, i wanted a built that would progress and not necessarily a rock crawler. Something i can mildly wheel, still drive on the road, hunt out of, or go camping. Also it needs to haul the kiddo's and the wifey. So here we go:

Parts:
OME front Coil's (dpg 5")
OME rear leafs (dpg 5")
OME shocks
Crown Brake lines
Rubicon hack n tap
ford explorer 8.8
barnes 4wd u bolts, spring plates and all the tube adapters
FK JMX 1.25 heims
4:88 gears
Front Grizzly locker for dana 30
WJ knuckle conversion
Liquid iron slider boxes
ruff stuff one ton steering
35x12.5x15 mickey thompson mtz's

I trimmed it pretty hard when i built the tube flares, this is essentially no lift and the 35's:

cWs8YpU.jpg

pnYocw1.jpg

YTRmqkP.jpg

i have had to move my photos from photobucket to imgur, and am still getting used to the new hosting site, here are some updated photos:

Y2wwTq9.jpg

j9K5Zh8.jpg

LE2nCEw.jpg

a54JxpR.jpg

3e068Nm.jpg

QONbYMl.jpg

Nice work.

I really like the bends in that T-case skid, but how does it unbolt from the frame side? More pics?

Those rear leaf spring slider boxes -- Better than shackles? What did you chose them? Not criticizing, just trying to learn something new

How about your upper arms -- What did you do for them?

Last picture posted. Right side, top of Long arm mount where it looks welded to the frame stiffener -- Is that a cracked weld?

I'm new to the XJ, trying to learn what I can from some of you "seasoned" guys

Those rear leaf spring slider boxes -- Better than shackles? What did you chose them? Not criticizing, just trying to learn something new

How about your upper arms -- What did you do for them?

Last picture posted. Right side, top of Long arm mount where it looks welded to the frame stiffener -- Is that a cracked weld?

I'm new to the XJ, trying to learn what I can from some of you "seasoned" guys

dont know about the sliders yet, but they are beaf. I think i will like them.

Here is the the upper, driver side three link, all links are made out of 2" .25" wall square with barnes inserts, FK JMX 1.25 heims, and stainless high misalignment spacers. 5/8" bolts.

M001fmN.jpg

Here is the crossmember before skids and paint:

mARtzZz.png

8RTrXrp.png

8ZczvvN.jpg

You guys are definitely inspiring me to build my own crossmember and 4 linked front end

Looks like you fabricate like I do -- no brake to bend plate -- everything made from flat plate and welded together -- I've been building this way for years, actually been thinking about building the swag off-road 40" finger brake as my xmas present to myself this year

I have a 30" brake in my 50 ton press. Here is the trackbar axle mount i bent. Every bracket on this i built, only thing bought was the clayton front axle bridge and the rear leaf spring mounts/spring plates.

7rqnxyM.jpg

UnzCnK9.jpg

yes i will get a pic, thats why i bent the bracket. my bracket is only 1/4" wider than the stock track bar mount, and i drilled holes to plug weld onto it. Most of these brackets will get filler plates put in as well. Once the axle comes back out for regear/paint i will finish weld everything and add my gussets.

The brake works well, it has bent everything i have asked it too.

I dig it man !

I need more tools. Can I show this thread to Santa?

Back