• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this a torque converter issue

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
99 auto 190000

ill try to explain the symptoms clearly,

on random occasion ill start the jeep just fine. usually I back up throw it into drive and it starts to sputter kinda rpms lower, i let off the gas completely then bump the gas pedal a little and all is good from then on. sometimes it happens after turning the rig off and right from starting and trying to drive, again not consistently. this tells me hot or cold doesnt matter. i not familiar with these syptoms, but heres whats newer on the vehicle.

bosch fuel pump: 2yrs old
injectors: they were bought new BWD 4 hole 2yrs old, good upgrade.....
plugs wires new: issue occurred before these being replaced
new TPS, also occurred before replacing.
battery is good, alt is napa newer 1yr old.

so im not well versed in the issue that i have. IDK if its a TC or an injector leaking which i doubt, but havent checked. what do you all think, please ask if I can be more descriptive, this is my best starting point.

Last edited:
I would think that I would swap the relay first.

Don't know why you (OP) think it'd be a Torque Converter. However, check the fluid and condition. If your level is low or bad, the TqC could be starving. Seems that would be consistent though.

A bad torque converter might give you some screeching, grinding before it goes. My experience with TqC is that my MJ ran fine...and then after a few screeching grinding episodes...I parked it. When I came back to move the truck, the TqC just crapped out, period, truck would not move.

What you have sounds like either a TPS, an IAC or coil issues. Have you adjusted the TV cable on the side of the throttle body? That wouldn't make any difference hot/cold and a short throttle bump could make it sputter/stall iof it were out of adjustment.

It sounds similar to a set of injectors I bought and had 1 fail !

Don't know why you (OP) think it'd be a Torque Converter. However, check the fluid and condition. If your level is low or bad, the TqC could be starving. Seems that would be consistent though.

A bad torque converter might give you some screeching, grinding before it goes. My experience with TqC is that my MJ ran fine...and then after a few screeching grinding episodes...I parked it. When I came back to move the truck, the TqC just crapped out, period, truck would not move.

What you have sounds like either a TPS, an IAC or coil issues. Have you adjusted the TV cable on the side of the throttle body? That wouldn't make any difference hot/cold and a short throttle bump could make it sputter/stall iof it were out of adjustment.

the cable has been adjusted before, though no issues arose after that time, now very long time since.

injectors are 4yrs old, bought new BWD 4hole, which i had suspected flooding being a possible culprit. this issue happens more after driving then sitting then driving again, though maybe i notice this more on days off just cause im driving more. TPS new, IAC stock, ignition coil stock which i was going to replace a few months ago just because its stock, however i read they just fail and if its working its working, idk.... IAC probable, newish BWD injectors seems unlikely considering how long these last in the life of a vehicle right? would a simple fuel rail pressure test show enough leak down to rule/out injectors?

the issue remains random, but is seemingly more frequent. feels like its bogging down no power, let off throttle, feather or tap it and its back to normal. This only happens when starting up the vehicle and trying to drive, cold or hot, hell it happened at 10000ft yesterday wheeling after we peaked and hung out a bit, then i started it began to drive, it gargled/ hesitated, i let off the gas and tapped the pedal which got it running normal again. This issue and resolve works every time. IAC?

i have this issue with mine. its an 88/90 and for me its from the ecu going from open to closed loop. i think my o2 sensor is alittle buggered. could also be something to check.

the issue remains random, but is seemingly more frequent. feels like its bogging down no power, let off throttle, feather or tap it and its back to normal. This only happens when starting up the vehicle and trying to drive, cold or hot, hell it happened at 10000ft yesterday wheeling after we peaked and hung out a bit, then i started it began to drive, it gargled/ hesitated, i let off the gas and tapped the pedal which got it running normal again. This issue and resolve works every time. IAC?

Weird, although I have similar issues when driving from 1500 ft. up to 6-8000 ft. where we usually do all our adventuring. Did it on my 90 XJ
as well as my 88 MJ. Gravel/rock road goes up 3,000 ft in 6 miles, then another 1500 in 2 miles going even slowerso it's a lot of pull at 25mph. Then when we get there, turn it off, then re-start it, it "puffles" for 30 seconds or so, then smooths out and is all good.

Back