• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

detroit electrac ... still around?

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I got to looking at LSD w/ locker products and found the old Detroit Electrac but it doesn't show up on the Eaton pages anywhere and the latest reviews/write-ups are from 2004. There are a couple of web storefronts listing them for sale but who knows about that.

Did they discontinue the product, turn it into something else, or what?

Ected has an LSD

But the ECTED isn't a locker

Its not a locker in the traditional since but almost every locker available today "locks" in a different way. The ECTED locks by running a electric current through an electromagnet that then forces the clutche dics in the LSD part of it together forcing it to "lock" up. The ECTED is advertised as a locker AND a LSD not just a LSD. And however some may debate over whether or not it is a "locker", that is what it does and yes it could at some point be overcome and slip, but reviews say that this does not seem to happen and it works perfectly. Maybe its not a rock buggy ready style locker but for the average wheeler it seems to be just the thing for those that want a LSD and a locker.

I went to thefind.com and and typed in Detroit electrac and it came up with many different places to purchase the locker from however who knows if its just pages that these web-sites have yet to fully delete but here is one from Currie

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=2113

they are a big business for the drivetrain world and I would expect them to keep their site pretty up to date so check them out give them a call and see if they still have one.

If anyone is looking for a set of Electracs (front and rear) I bought a set for my 87 Wagoneer and since I'm upgrading to a set of 60s I don't need them anymore. I'm asking 600 each for them. if you just want the rear, thats cool too. Im also posting in the for sale forum. They were never installed. just pm me if you're interested. I have a set of them in my XJ, and they are friggin awesome. Im only running 3.73s but if you wanted to go higher numerically, you just have to use thick ring gears.

Its not a locker in the traditional since but almost every locker available today "locks" in a different way. The ECTED locks by running a electric current through an electromagnet that then forces the clutche dics in the LSD part of it together forcing it to "lock" up. The ECTED is advertised as a locker AND a LSD not just a LSD. And however some may debate over whether or not it is a "locker", that is what it does and yes it could at some point be overcome and slip, but reviews say that this does not seem to happen and it works perfectly. Maybe its not a rock buggy ready style locker but for the average wheeler it seems to be just the thing for those that want a LSD and a locker.

I went to thefind.com and and typed in Detroit electrac and it came up with many different places to purchase the locker from however who knows if its just pages that these web-sites have yet to fully delete but here is one from Currie

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=2113

they are a big business for the drivetrain world and I would expect them to keep their site pretty up to date so check them out give them a call and see if they still have one.

I started a thread on here about the ECTED, and from that I have heard of MANY cases where it has failed, been over come by larger tires, or acting as an LSD and then freakishly locking suddenly thus snapping shafts. It is also reccommended for tires under 35". If you are running small tires and live where it snows a LOT, then i can understand this piece. But unless you wheel on 31s and live in Alaska i would pass on it.

The only thing good about it is its cheap, but for an extra $100 you can get an e-locker.

I bought it on e-bay.

It is different then any other locker available as it is a torsion limited slip when unlocked. There are no wear parts, and when locked is "really" locked.
***Which are you referring to???? This sounds very nice! The electrac?

FWIW, I called Eaton/Detroit and the guy I talked to said they had a lot of setup problems (wrong gear oil, not adjusted correctly, etc), and since Eaton already had an electric locker they decided to just cancel the Electrac. They have no plans at this time for another LSD w/ integrated locker.

Back