• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter Relay???

mgreen1989xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 XJ 4.0, I had some problems with it starting a couple of times (turn the switch and only get a click, sometimes nothing) it did this off and on for about a month. The starter and solenoid are new, and batery and connections were good, but all at once it would not do anything when the switch was in any position, it was random sometime it would start fine, and other time nothing not even dash lights. So I changed the ignition switch, still have the same problem. I have no dash lights, no sounds (such as relay click, or fuel pump) nothing when I turn on the switch to any position. I can cross the starter solenoid and it will turn over(but of course not start) can the starter relay cause this???

i would say u have a wiring problem. I would check the power heading to your fuse box, its a great place to start, a volt meter would work great bot a test light will work to, bot it will not tell u how many volts are there.

i would have the battery checked and replace the terminals.

if you cannot get jumped off, then you either have a dead cell in the battery or corroded terminals most likely.

the starter relay would not have anything to do with the dash lights.

-tim

check the wire from the battery to relay first, then double check all the terminals, just had this happen to my 87 and this was the fix. I also had to replace the relay on my sons comanche, wire and terminals cheaper than 40 dollar relay. John

Not sure if it this will help but on my 87 pioneer sometimes when it doesn't start I have to wiggle the auto shifter lever back and forth to get it to start. I need to adjust the switch (neutral start)

Cal-XJ said:
Not sure if it this will help but on my 87 pioneer sometimes when it doesn't start I have to wiggle the auto shifter lever back and forth to get it to start. I need to adjust the switch (neutral start)

no u need to clean the switch.

Back