• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Centering front D60 for installation

moparcyco

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys I need some help. I have a front Tera 60 that is shortened and built ready to install. I have never done a custom front like this before. Can anyone point me to some links or builds that deal with this? I have searched and found all kinds of threads but no one seems to cover how to make sure your square to the frame etc. Also due to the mass of this thing I'm pretty sure its going to be 1 to 2 inches forward of stock. Since the steering is going to based of this just want to be sure its right

Also I am building a three link based off a clayton crossmember with the upper on the pass side. I have read you must build the links with the axle at full bump how is this determined? Do you just stuff it under there until its close to hitting oil pan etc? I really could use some help. Thanks

the control arms will hold the axle fore/aft. just center the spring perches on the axle, cross car, and the control arms and track bar will take care of the rest. the diff can make measuring difficult. for my axle swap, i knew the spring width needed. so i measured the axle width from given point, divided the difference in two, and inboard the springs from the point by that amount.

concerning building at full bump, i did this and recommend it. it was the condition where all of the moving parts were the closest.... there are lot of variable, the oil pan being a big one. your axle width, inner fenders, amount you have trimmed, steering, and tire size all also play into it. i mounted the tires on the axle and stuffed the axle as high as i could without hitting the oil. there is full bump. i had high steering, and with stretching the axle, hitting the tie rod on the pitman arm was a slight issue, and i had to dial the stretch back. without high steer you have a lot more room. cycle the steering back and forth. if everything clears at full bump, it should at right height and when articulated. also consider where you may mount a ram at this point too, if you dont plan to do full hydro or assist right away.

when you have everything where you think you want it... tack it in, and cycle the suspension. full droop on both sides, full droop on one side and full compression on the other, and the reverse of the same scenario. and cycle the steering in all positions. if everything checks out... you should be good to go.

concerning the drag link and track bar, there are some simple rules to follow:
- as close to the same angle as possible
- as close to the same plane as possible
- as close to the same length as possible
- as flat as possible

good luck.

Last edited:
Back