• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turbo kit

I wonder if they make a complete kit instead of just the manifold? I cant think of too many great spots for an intercooler in an XJ either. Looks like an idea though.

theres room behind the bumper and also a long thin one to the passangers side of the valve cover.

i havent decided where mine is going yet

Well, it looks like a couple of us are in the same boat. I'm also working on a turbo for my Cherokee. After reviewing flow maps shooting for 300hp, I've pretty much settled on a t04e 54 trim, .63 air turbine. I'm still wondering about the intercooler also. I was think about putting it flat on passenger side, with hood vent installed right above it. I would have hood vent on other side all for symmetry and to help cool turbo. Sound feasible?

As for location. I'm considering putting it where stock airbox is, though I'm not sure if it will fit. I know i will have to move ECU, as well some other things. I really just want to bolt it directly to exhaust. I realize intake is going to soak up some major heat, but wonder if I can block most of it. I already have a metal shield under intake about 1" below it as a heat blocker. I could also get some of that reflective material to attach to it.

SKIM said:
Here is a turbo kit for a wrangler maybe you could mod it to work don't know but I sall it in JP I thought I mite pass it on to you. http://shop.505performance.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=54&categoryId=4
On the same site they have one more for a cherokee i beleive http://shop.505performance.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=76&categoryId=4

On a side note anyone know about this header?
http://shop.505performance.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=109&categoryId=4

505 is junk. that header is an apn, its avail, in stainless, for $179, everywhere.

heres a completed manifold by bryson, its a design we spent some time on, once i get it on my motor and check everything out, going price is going to be $500 or so

Img_0719.jpg

Nice manifold.

Has it been tested at all?

I'd be concerned with it getting too hot and cracking all of your welds.

If it was me I'd make the tubes longer so that it has more surface area to allow the manifold to cool.

tealcherokee said:
505 is junk. that header is an apn, its avail, in stainless, for $179, everywhere.

heres a completed manifold by bryson, its a design we spent some time on, once i get it on my motor and check everything out, going price is going to be $500 or so

So, I am just curious. What sort of effect will such an uneven runner length have on turbo performance and why that route instead of a pulse tuned setup? Also, what platform are you lookin to tune with?

j99xj said:
Nice manifold.

If it was me I'd make the tubes longer so that it has more surface area to allow the manifold to cool.

The manifold staying hot should be a bonus keeping the gas vescosity up through the turbo hotside as well as keeping under hood temps down. I would personally ceramic coat and heat wrap especially if it is going to be intercooled under the hood. To much heat soak will make tuning a PITA!

czb83 said:
...I'm still wondering about the intercooler also. I was think about putting it flat on passenger side, with hood vent installed right above it. I would have hood vent on other side all for symmetry and to help cool turbo. Sound feasible?...

Sorry to just jump all in this thread and start blabin but I am also excited about the idea of turbo charging the XJ!

Justa idea to through out there about the IC, another very popular mount is a SMIC. They are smaller cores but they would mount in the wheel well. You would want toprotct it but the nice thing is it would be in cooloer air vs. the hot under hood so it should be more efficent.

Also, I second the 54 trim turbos. they are geat technology especially with pump gas. Which leads me to my next question, for you guys looking at running the turbo, what fuel are you lookin at running. Obviously with the N/A engine you are not going to be tuning for every last bit of power but I would be interested in tuning with injection. Seems like the biggest challenge turbo charging this power plant is going to be combating knock but it hardly seems worth running high octance fuel from a cost perspective:dunno:

alright ill try to answer everything. as far as cracking, no way, the honda guys use even less.. their manifolds are just el, tee, tee, el on a piece of 1/4" plate usually. all of that tubing is sched 40, 1.25" primarys into a 1.5" log. thats 1.660 OD/0.140 wall for the 1.25" and 1.900" OD/0.145 wall for the 1.5". Tig welded with full penetration.

This manifold uses equal runners into a log, its a VERY efficent fast spooling set up.

as far as doing a full tubular manifold into a collector, its impossible unless you want the turbo sticking out of the hood with very long runners (bad thing)

I plan on running pump gas, 93 is the highest over here. I have Megasquirt which is controlling fuel and igntion, so it should be to much of a problem. Tuning spark is a hassle though, as I never know if my values are optimal. Would have helped if i could find baseline from stock igntion.

WTF_LOL said:
So, I am just curious. What sort of effect will such an uneven runner length have on turbo performance and why that route instead of a pulse tuned setup? Also, what platform are you lookin to tune with?

Almost none. Since turbo setups require a pressure ratio between the turbine wheel, and cylinder head to spool the turbo, the overall flow of each runner becomes less important. Each cylinder is basicly conributing to maintain an equal pressure ratio in the log, which in essance spools the turbo. However, equal length and seperated runners is important if you are looking for the maximum amount of power out of any turbo system, but the most important part is the collector. This is all because at some point the log is going to be a restriction on overall flow, as gas velocity will start to approach the "fast as sound" levels. as soon as this starts to happen (most likely never on any Jeep setup), large gains would be possible with a tubular manifold.

would this be any good for some one that uses there jeep offroad alot. What happens when water hits it. I know jack about turbos but it looks really cool. What about a stroker motor with a turbo on it. Thatd be badass

scottsxj said:
would this be any good for some one that uses there jeep offroad alot. What happens when water hits it. I know jack about turbos but it looks really cool. What about a stroker motor with a turbo on it. Thatd be badass

its already in the works. :D

tealcherokee said:

This head design is awful and I would avoid it.

Look into flipping a stock header or basing something off an aftermarket header.

I'm running flipped 6.0 truck manifolds on my 98 LS1 turbo setup: www.psj.ls1tech.com

A great place to surf DIY turbo builds is www.turbomustangs.com. Those guys know it all when it comes to pulling together a combo.

yeah thats great, you go do that.

a) theres nothing wrong w/ a log set up
b) this is not a v motor, the intake is directly above the exhaust
c) the only other option is remote mounted, and a log is more efficent

Back