• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DW is back after Chev 1ton TRE upgrade and drop pitman arm

cLAYH

NAXJA Forum User
So I installed the new Chev TREs, had heavy wall 1.25" DOM tapped top accept them, bought the reamer and reamed the knuckles and new drop pitman arm.

Good news is that the "dead zone" is my steering is almost totaly gone. The big disappointment is that it only improved my steering radius a small amount. Since going to the D44 my turning radius had increased by almost a third. I figured it was because of the steep angle on my drag link and that a dropped pitman arm would bring it back, guess not.

The bad news is that DW is back with a vengence, I've had it before but never this bad. I should have guessed that it would happen with the new dop pitman putting the drag link out of sync with the trac bar. GRRRR! I guess I'll put the old pitman back on and see what happens. As well I'll start thinking about an over the axle mount for the trac bar. <sigh> Will this thing ever be done?

I doubt the mis-matched angles of the panhard and draglink is causing your DW. The angles only really need to match during significant suspension travel. I would double and triple check everything to make sure it's tight.

Also, it sounds like a longer pitman arm is what you need, not dropped one, this will help get your turning radius back. A Waggy drop pitman would be a good choice.

Thanks for the tips, I got pissed off last night so I stayed up untill 5am and made an over the axle mount for the trac bar then hacked off the end off my trac bar and shortened it about 6". Put it all back together and the DW is MUCH improved but still there. I have not tweaked the toe or drag link length and I don't think that the trac bar length is quite right yet, looks like its sitting a bit to the passenger side. I'm hoping that once I get those tuned in it will be good.

Thanks for the tip about the Waggy arm. I'll look into that.

Back