• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems of putting a 2.5" Muffler on our 2.25" Stock Exhaust?

Ghetto2315

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Gibson Performance Muffler that came out of my Gibson Catback Exhaust System for my 00 XJ, but I opted for the FM Super 40 Muffler instead, so I have the Gibson just lying around in the garage.

Are there any problems of putting a 2.5" Muffler on my 94 XJ's 2.25" exhaust? I just dont want any ill-effects, such as loss of back pressure thats needed for torque

If there is no problem and the main problem is just getting it to fit, then I'll put it on my 94 XJ and be done with it (assuming it can be welded fine).

Thank you guys!

all my stuff is 2.5 and it runs great, cat and muffler and pipe all 2.5 starting at the stock 2.25 right at the crossmember, just get and adapter and have at it it'll be fine.

If your not welding make sure that you turn your pipe clamps 90 degrees so the bolts are not pointing straight down. This will stop those from loosinging or tweaking if anything skimmes across the exhaust system.

Shouldn't even need an adapter. The nice part about 2.25 exhaust tube is that it fits real nicely inside of 2.5" tube :) Just slap it on there and weld it or even clamp it...though the latter is not my prefered method by far.

When I put my 2.5 cat on it had some play in there, so i cross cut the pipe on the cat and clamped it down then sealed any leaks in the cross cut with jb weld sealed up nice and tight no leaks and it is rock solid.

Back