• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep starts after sitting.....shuts off and then wont start again

PlayvorPlayv99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 1999 XJ starts and runs great after sitting overnight but soon as I get on the road and hit the first stop sign on my street she shuts off on me and refuses to start again. This stop sign in less than half a mile from my home. Any ideas on this before I call my mechanic?? Thank u in advance.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it has something to do with an O2 sensor.

I'm guessing this because it sounds like it's dieing when it tries to go into closed loop.

No CEL?

Yes it has a CEL. Which is something ive been trying to fix for months now. I got it scanned at a dealer 4 seperate times and each time they told me its showing no codes. Ive replaced the oil pressure sensor, and the evap solenoid, dont know much about the O2 sensor though.

That's just a wild guess. My second guess would be a faulty CPS but I don't know that a half mile is enough for it to get hot and fault.

When were the O2 sensors changed last? Probably due to be changed anyway.

Though, I'm not suggesting you throw parts at it.

I bought the jeep about 4 years ago and I have never changed the O2 sensor so im sure ur right that it could use a change.....even if that is not the answer to my issue. I will look into it more. Thank you very much :spin1:

Back