• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Xj: Brake Upgrade Questions due to Axle Upgrade

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing my stock '88 Xj axles (D30/D35) with my 1997 Xj axles (D30/C8.25 drum) because, I am transferring my lift to the '88 Xj and need the 4.10 gear set I installed in the 1997 axles. Brake system improvements are part of this to accommodate the larger 31" tires.

I have a 1995 dual diaphragm vacuum booster (OE p/n - 52008647), master cylinder and proportioning valve from an ABS Xj (i.e., D35 rear drum system) vehicle. In turn, I strongly suspect the proportioning valve is inadequate but, do not know for certain. Can anyone assist me in this regard?

If the 1995 proportioning valve is inadequate for the C8.25 rear drum brake system I have two options I need to evaluate:

1 - The OE proportioning valve (OE p/n - 5212 9025) from www.teamcherokee.com for $45.

2 - An adjustable proportioning valve that may be more useful when I convert the C8.25 to disc brakes (...if ever).

Please advise.

Rick

use the prop. valve from the same year xj the donor axles are from. are you going to upgrade to discs in the rear also or no? if so then you can use a zj (4 wheel disc) prop valve in that case. hope that helps alittle.

wilwood has several adjustable proportioning valves.
look on summit and find the one you need with the appropriate port sizes.

Good input but, Summit gave me a better option. Since I am using a brake system configuration close to stock, hardware from manufacturers such as Wilwood is not recommended. In turn, they referred me to Stainless Steel Brake Corporation (SSBC - http://www.ssbrakes.com/).

SSBC stated I can retain my OE single diaphragm brake booster/MasterCyl/proportioning valve system and add their adjustable proportioning valve. This is done by removing the internal hardware (i.e., spring, stem and seal) from the OE proportioning valve and installing their A0707 to the rear line out of the OE proportioning valve to change the hydraulic bias to the rear axle. The customer service representative I spoke with is even an Xj guy!

Seems simple and it cost $46 from Summit. It will also accommodate the change to disc brakes if I end up making that change at a later date.

I will have results in a couple of days.

Thanks,

Rick

May be too late, but..
Check Rockauto.com and look at the wheel cylinder bore diameters for the wheel cylinders used in each different axle - 8.25 & D35. You can click on "info" when looking at a part and most of the time they will give some specifications for it. I suspect they are the same diameter and thus will react identically to the proportioning valve / MC setup.

yossarian19 - No it is not to late. I think you have a good idea for evaluating detail.

Bear in mind it is the added mass of the 31" tires (...fortunately, they are not larger...yet.) I am most concerned with and not purely the D35-C8.25/drum brake system differences. The as yet undisclosed factors involved in this lift transfer is that my brake line fittings are not in good shape and I must severe the line to replace the threaded ends at a minimum. In turn, integrating changing/enhancing these small hydraulic components does little to contaminate that nasty hydraulic mess I must deal with.

Lastly, I also decided to protect my interests (i.e., getting my car back on the road soon.) and I intend to order the proportioning valve from www.teamcherokee.com if they have it in stock (I'm waiting for their return call.) because, I know this solution already.

Rick

Aren't there only two drum systems for an XJ regardless of axle model, 9" and 10"? Sadly, I have the 9" drums on mine... but at least they work now (just cleaned/greased the adjusters and derusted and painted the drums a couple weeks ago... will save hardware replacement and backing plate painting until I need new shoes)

If you're trying to get this back on the road quickly, you can rebuild drum wheel cylinders in situ; just disassemble the entire brakes down to the backing plate, then disassemble the wheel cylinders, hone, flush, reassemble with new cups and end seals ("wheel cylinder rebuild kit" from your FLAPS) as long as the bores aren't pitted and your bleeders are free that will keep you from having to replace the hard lines... although if they look really sketchy you may want to replace them anyway. I'd just replace the hose and that should work; cut the old hose in half before trying to remove it, then unscrew the hose from the fitting on the line from the body. That'll make it easier to free that flare nut up. I can't visualize what the axle end of the hose looks like, but if the block that the axle lines thread into is integral to the hose, well, might be time for the flame wrench and/or flaring and bending tools.

Back