• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep isn't sitting level

ColumbusXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys sorry for the newb question but I just put a 4 inch bds lift on my 1999 xj and it is sitting an inch higher on the drivers side. Has any one had this problem? I haven't gotten it aligned yet, could that be the problem?

mine doesnt sit level either... i have switched my springs side to side and all kinds of things, and its still crooked.

[FONT=&quot]It's a common problem.
Run it for a couple more weeks to make sure that the springs have settled.
In the front, level it using short coil spacers, the Factory isolators works fine, or get an ACOS. Sometimes swapping coils from side to side works.

In the rear, a short spacer, on the low side, or by changing, adding or removing spring leaves.
When assembling leaf packs, I clamp them together, while on the garage floor, to check the arch. I try to get the arch the same in both packs, before installation by swapping the individual leaves back and forth until the arch is the same.
Some kits (OME for example) come with one side a little higher to make up for torque load and/or the weight of the driver. If this is the case, the springs should be marked showing which side to put them on.[/FONT]

Mine sits about 3/4-1" high on the driver side. Doesnt really bother me cause im 6" and dont notice as much. I figure with my weight and all my supplies in the back i can make up for it.

an ACOS would put him higher then he wants im sure. use isolators. and for the rear you never wanna remove a leaf. thats how you destroy your leaf pack.

mine's just higher in the back. i just go meself some taller springs.
hey, it's not that bad, google bronco lean! that's a chitty situation, for sure. with one of those, ya just go wheelin till it sits right. then you f it right back up when you go wheelin again.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think i'll wait and see if it levels out, then try switching the springs, and if that doesn't work either put in a coil spacer or just live with it.

check the front springs where they sit in the coil seats on the axle, they have stops molded into them and if you do not have both springs seated against them, it will cause one side to sit higher than the other, they have that little clamp to hold them in place and sometimes it bends enough to alow the spring to turn a little in the cup, you will need to take it off and bend it back so that it will keep the spring in it's proper location

driver's side sitting high usually has nothing to do with springs settleing, etc.

It is generally the result of a Panhard bar being in the stock location, and then lifting the jeep more than about 2 inches. As you go up from there, the slightly triangulated front links try to keep the jeep centered, and the now excessively angled Panhard bar has a vertical component of force on the driver's side. In other words, it begins to act like the prop rod on your hood, holding the driver's side up.

The solution, which should be incorporated on every Jeep lifted over 4" is to move both the axle side Panhard bar mount up as much as possible to get it as flat as possible. this not only helps the annoying lean, but more importantly, helps the handling tremendously, as you are now working through a much shallower part of the axle travel arc.

You will have to move your steering as well, to match your new geometry.

driver's side sitting high usually has nothing to do with springs settleing, etc.

It is generally the result of a Panhard bar being in the stock location, and then lifting the jeep more than about 2 inches. As you go up from there, the slightly triangulated front links try to keep the jeep centered, and the now excessively angled Panhard bar has a vertical component of force on the driver's side. In other words, it begins to act like the prop rod on your hood, holding the driver's side up.

The solution, which should be incorporated on every Jeep lifted over 4" is to move both the axle side Panhard bar mount up as much as possible to get it as flat as possible. this not only helps the annoying lean, but more importantly, helps the handling tremendously, as you are now working through a much shallower part of the axle travel arc.

You will have to move your steering as well, to match your new geometry.

that is probably the most sensible explanation i have ever heard

thanks!

Back