• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tap, tap, tap...collapsed lifter

MjTjNJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

My engine (2.5L in my 87 MJ) started making a loud tap a few months back, and I had planned on doing an engine swap, so I didn't care much. Now, with funds being what they are, I'm trying to get to the heart of the matter. I pulled the valve cover and one of the #3 cylinder rocker arms is flapping in the wind. I tightened it down to spec, but it's just not getting pressure from down below. I think the cheap fix would be to get another cylinder head (used), and just pop it on. Rebuilding my old one, on a 178K block that's going to need a full rebuild/replacement in a few years, could be more expensive. Does anyone disagree with anything I've said?
Now the question would be - what years of cylinder heads do I have my choice on? If I find a wrecked 2003 2.5L TJ, can I use something that new, or do I have to stick to the 87-89 years?

Thanks!

Tom,
Is it the #3 intake rocker that came loose? If so, that's funny. The same one loosened up on mine about a week after I got it (wayyy back when). Tightened it back down and all's been well since....

Sounds like you've got a collapsed or plugged up lifter down there. You can pull them out thru the head (unlike the 4.0) and clean/inspect it.

Might end up seeing you this June, up on the south shore. If we're going I'll give ya a holler :)

Jeff

Back