• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a photo

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
SOUNDS like a simple issue...

I would like a photo of someones 4.0 with the plug wires running through the stock plastic wire separator and the route to the distributor.

Making things pretty, would like to see the routing.

Thanks...

101eb40b.jpg

62d2c845.jpg

9d12440c.jpg

don't know if those will help any.

Re: Need a photo (Spark Plug Wire Routing)

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say thanks to BCParker for providing those pics. I never thought to take a picture while I still had the factory wires in there. Looking at it now, I realize my second set of wires was all jumbled up. It was time for me to install my third set and I figured I'd try to make it pretty this time.

I bought a set of NGK V-Power plugs, a new Performance Distributors (Davis Unified Ignition) cap and rotor set, and an XJ specific Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm plug wire set which is supposed to be the same thing as the Mopar Performance wires. I started out using the "longest wire goes to the furthest away plug" method that many folks on here recommend. I quickly became frustrated as I knew my wire set was made specifically for my XJ but I just couldn't get it to look right.

I finally found the above pics and they were a lifesaver. I thought I'd add a few more with some of the hoses and cables pulled out of the way to provide a little more clarity for anyone else trying to recreate the factory wire routing. Looking from the passenger side fender:

Left view
100_9477.jpg

Center view
100_9480.jpg

Right view
100_9476.jpg

I was worried I was going to have to get some aftermarket separators for the 8mm wires, but as you can see, they will fit in the factory wire guides. I don't think you could go much bigger though. I also don't think you could route the wiring as neatly with the aftermarket separators.

Another helpful hint for anyone using an OEM wire set or an XJ specific aftermarket set... Trying to sort out which wire is which can be confusing because despite the fact that the longest wires go to the furthest away plugs, the shortest wires do not go to the closest plugs! Arrange your plug wires in order from longest to shortest. They will be in order as follows:

#1 is the longest
#6 is the second longest
#3 & #4 are the same length and fall right in the middle
#5 is the second shortest
#2 is the shortest

Hope someone finds this helpful. :wave:

Thanks for the clear pics.

In general, the best practice is to change one wire at a time. You pull one old one off, then compare it's length to the new ones, then install the correct length new one. Repeat for the remaining wires.

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say thanks to BCParker for providing those pics. I never thought to take a picture while I still had the factory wires in there. Looking at it now, I realize my second set of wires was all jumbled up. It was time for me to install my third set and I figured I'd try to make it pretty this time.

I bought a set of NGK V-Power plugs, a new Performance Distributors (Davis Unified Ignition) cap and rotor set, and an XJ specific Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm plug wire set which is supposed to be the same thing as the Mopar Performance wires. I started out using the "longest wire goes to the furthest away plug" method that many folks on here recommend. I quickly became frustrated as I knew my wire set was made specifically for my XJ but I just couldn't get it to look right.

I finally found the above pics and they were a lifesaver. I thought I'd add a few more with some of the hoses and cables pulled out of the way to provide a little more clarity for anyone else trying to recreate the factory wire routing. Looking from the passenger side fender:

Left view
100_9477.jpg

Center view
100_9480.jpg

Right view
100_9476.jpg

I was worried I was going to have to get some aftermarket separators for the 8mm wires, but as you can see, they will fit in the factory wire guides. I don't think you could go much bigger though. I also don't think you could route the wiring as neatly with the aftermarket separators.

Another helpful hint for anyone using an OEM wire set or an XJ specific aftermarket set... Trying to sort out which wire is which can be confusing because despite the fact that the longest wires go to the furthest away plugs, the shortest wires do not go to the closest plugs! Arrange your plug wires in order from longest to shortest. They will be in order as follows:

#1 is the longest
#6 is the second longest
#3 & #4 are the same length and fall right in the middle
#5 is the second shortest
#2 is the shortest

Hope someone finds this helpful. :wave:

What about the coil wire? Would it be the shortest too?

The coil wire has two distributor-sized connectors, while the others all have a spark plug connector on one end. That's how I figured mine out.

billet aluminum? That's a little bling for my tastes, wow :spin1: but yeah I route the cables carefully, I hate tangled up wiring

What about the coil wire? Would it be the shortest too?

Sorry, I didn't bother to mention the coil wire because as kastein mentioned, it will be the only one with the elbow shaped distributor boots on both ends. The rest of them will all have a distributor boot on one end and a spark plug boot on the other. Depending on the manufacturer, the chances are pretty good that the #1 and/or #6 boots will have 135* angled spark plug boots on them as well.

Hallo. If you attach the connectors yourself, take care to use after finish an ohmmeter to control the electric connection from both ends through the cable.
I did and find out there was some problem with the resistance of one cable.

wim

Last edited:
Back