• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Measurements for a homebuilt frame brace

Hickey

NAXJA Forum User
I thought some of you might appreciate this. The holes might be exact, so you might want to drill your holes a little big. I used 1/4" thick, but IMO 3/16 would be plenty. Everything is measured from the front edge of the frame horn, back to the center of each hole. I took my square off of that edge. The line on the far left is an extra 1/2" of material beyond the frame length. The second line from the left represents the frame edge. Your feedback is appreciated.
If you can't read some of the measurements, try importing the pic into Windows Paint, that might help.

BrettM said:
nice, so that's the 3 bumper bracket bolts and the 3 steering box bolts? why not go back farther to the hole most tow-hook brackets go to?
Because my piece of 1/4" wasn't that long. :laugh3:

im gonna make a CAD file of that - post here in a sec when i get a chance...

I was paying you a compliment! I have been meaning to make one, but never felt like sitting in the snow, taking stuff apart, and measuring.

Now all I need to do is make the brace and put it on.

skyjackerXJ said:
I was paying you a compliment! I have been meaning to make one, but never felt like sitting in the snow, taking stuff apart, and measuring.

Now all I need to do is make the brace and put it on.
I wasn't referring to your post for calling me lazy. I was motivated by someone else calling me that. BTW, thank you for the compliment. It is a very nice day today, so it wasn't too bad.

CAD File here:
you can find your own copy of CAD or download a trail version from autodesk...
no i dont have a copy that i can give you

http://www.opiebennett.com/cad/XJsteering boxbrace.dwg

all measurements were done by hickey
I assumed 1/2" bolt - real bolt size might be different - i dont know...

I drilled the steering box holes at 1/2" and it was just enough fudge factor for the 9/16" bolts. Here it is temporarily installed. I need to take it off and finish welding it to the bumper, then paint it.

And here is what I welded to it

Back