• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuseable link?

BenDiesel

NAXJA Forum User
89 xj 4.0 auto
i broke my jeep. i get in it and it went click and no power to any thing. so i fiddle with the positive battery terminal for a while because it was a weak connection. while tightening the terminal i accidentally dropped it on the negative terminal while the engine was running and the engine stopped instantly, now im not getting any spark. any ideas?

There are fusible links in the wires attached to the large lug on the starter relay--the Renix PDC.

So, engine cranks, no spark?

ya cranks but no spark. didnt check to see if the injectors were getting power.

is there any way of checking the links without a hom meter?

You have a 12 volt test light? Hook the ground to the battery, check the PDC lug for power, If you have it then poke along the wires leading off the PDC lug to see if the links are blown.

???? is this the relay that has the power going from the battery to it?

???? is this the relay that has the power going from the battery to it?

Hey Ben, the relay that i was speaking of the "B Latch Relay" as Joe corrected me on (thanks Joe), you can tell I have a non Renix 4.0, is located in the PDC on my non-Renix and should be labelled on the lid of the PDC cover. Is there a PDC on Renix? lol
You may have blown the fuse at the front of the PDC as well, which is what i think you are referring to. It is either 100 or 125amp mega-fuse and it has a name for the life of me i can't remember what it is though. It is the master fuse for the PDC and sometimes has a cover over it and is external of the PDC itself and sits right in front. It will have battery cables to it. Am i making any sense? lol
If you have no electrical other than cranking, this may be the case or as mentioned above the B Latch.
Hopefully Joe or another Renix master will chime in. I'll probably stay out this thread as mentioned i don't know Renix, but i will keep watching, curious to see if you get her figured out and good luck. -B:cheers:

There is no PDC on RENIX - that's a ChryCo thing.

RENIX has the starter motor relay (goldish metal can in front of the four DIN relays, has a large 3/8" screwpost with several fusible links coming off of it) and the DIN relays behind it (I don't recall the order, but they're the B+ Latch, Fuel Pump Relay, Aircon Compressor Clutch Relay, and I can't think of the other one offhand.) All four relays are standard DIN pieces, and are generally available for ten bucks or less (ask for "Bosch/Hella" relays.)

The fusible links may easily be inspected visually - the Hypalon insulation will bubble and char if the wire inside has burned through (this may be confirmed simply by gently manipulating the wire - if it doesn't feel like there's wire in there, it's burned out. Replace, using the same length and wire gage of fusible link wire.)

There is no PDC on RENIX - that's a ChryCo thing.

RENIX has the starter motor relay (goldish metal can in front of the four DIN relays, has a large 3/8" screwpost with several fusible links coming off of it) and the DIN relays behind it (I don't recall the order, but they're the B+ Latch, Fuel Pump Relay, Aircon Compressor Clutch Relay, and oxygen heater relay). All four relays are standard DIN pieces, and are generally available for ten bucks or less (ask for "Bosch/Hella" relays.)

The fusible links may easily be inspected visually - the Hypalon insulation will bubble and char if the wire inside has burned through (this may be confirmed simply by gently manipulating the wire - if it doesn't feel like there's wire in there, it's burned out. Replace, using the same length and wire gage of fusible link wire.)

Fixed. :wave:

well thanks for the input guys. with the help of my friend and my electronics fsm we found the blach relay wasn't sending power to the ignition pole. a bit of poking around at the junk yard i found 3 for a total of 2.50 ! way cheaper then the 44 bucks napa wanted or the 56 action auto wanted. so it was a combo of a low charge on the batt from cranking and the relay.

thanks again

Fixed. :wave:

Thanks.

"Wouldn't it suck to be an alcoholic with Alzheimer's? Imagine needing a drink, but not being able to remember where you left it..."

"You know what the beauty of Alzheimer's is? New friends every day!"

Granted, I don't have Alzheimer's. Merely post-traumatic CRS...

well thanks for the input guys. with the help of my friend and my electronics fsm we found the blach relay wasn't sending power to the ignition pole. a bit of poking around at the junk yard i found 3 for a total of 2.50 ! way cheaper then the 44 bucks napa wanted or the 56 action auto wanted. so it was a combo of a low charge on the batt from cranking and the relay.

thanks again

Erm, was that $44 or $56 for the little 1" cube relays?!? I need to find a good vendor for Bosch or equivalent and add them to the line, methinks...

I've never been happy getting a used electric anything, unless I'm going to tear it to bits and overhaul it first thing! It's not a "good deal" if the damn thing won't work...

no it was that much for the starter motor relay (goldish metal can in front of the four DIN relays, has a large 3/8" screwpost with several fusible links coming off of it) new from a parts store

Back