• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrade from stock Alternator

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
My stock alternator isn't doing too well these days. With all of my accessories I fear it is nearing the upper limits of its intended amp draw and it likes the water less and less each day. It started off by stopping in large puddles and has since began to have trouble operating properly in the rain. I am in the market for a new alternator and am looking for suggestions and info. Has anyone had any particular success fining an alternator that tolerates water well, or has anyone tried the water cooled sealed units? Also, does anyone remember the name of the company that manufacutures the high output heavy duty alternators for the government, I almost bought one from them about 2 years ago but eh sales rep never got back to me and now I can't remember thier name.
Thanks

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/

I did this upgrade two weeks ago. I bought the GC alternator at my local Napa and they swapped out the pulleys for free.

I had to do some clearencing on the brackets. The easiest way is to remove the bracket from the engine and do the clearencing on a workbench.

Get on from one of the following:

1997-1998 Dodge B.Series Van
1997-1998 Dodge Dakota
1998 Dodge Durango
1997-1998 Dodge Ram Pickup
1997-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

OEM 136 amp alternator(OEM PN:56027913) I not sure but I think they have to be equipped with the 5.2 or 5.9l engines. You should be able to pick one up at a junk yard for next to nothing...

x2 on swapping a 136 amp one from another rig

I ran one from a Dakota for a year and then used it as a core swap for a rebuilt one with a lifetime warantee. Between running the 136 amp and upgrading all the power leads I got rid of all my power issues.

Ah, I found that company, American Armature...how extensive are the mods for the Dodge alternator swap, if its anything but plug and play I might be sunk on that one

EMSJEEP said:
Ah, I found that company, American Armature...how extensive are the mods for the Dodge alternator swap, if its anything but plug and play I might be sunk on that one
It's pretty much a direct bolt in...just upgrade the leads comming off the alt. to make sure they will handle the 136amps.

I'm running about 35Amps of accessories give or take 70 Amps at idle +/- 10% is cutting it a little too close for me.

I almost stalled out in about 8 inches of water the other day. Does anyone use brushless alternators or even the water cooled units that I can't seem to find anywhere?

Back