• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I got coilover cash burning a hole in my pocket

strokedwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Need to do away with the front coils and shocks to really cut up my front end. Right now I'm running about 8" of lift, would like to stay around there. Whats out there and does anyone have any mounting set up pics? I have the ideas of coming off the "frame" rails up front with some well braced hoops up through the hood. Thoughts.....anyone.... anyone..... Bueller?

I am just finishing up my coilovers up front. to expand on mad maxj's very prolific answer ;) here's some more information.

Budget about $400-425 per corner for remote resevoir shocks. I scored a deal on some 14x2" sway a way's that were used for one season on a buggy. Used CO's from jeep guys typically are in pretty good shape. I don't know whether I would buy used from a desert racer, though.

Hoops are tied into the frame rail right on top of the engine mounts. This is the thickest metal on the XJ and a great place to mount the hoops. You will need to ditch your stock air box. Go with a turbo city tube (or make your own) that moves a small K&N to the passenger side near the tranny dipstick. You will need to mount the hoop on the drivers side at a 45* angle to clear the master cylinder. I did the passenger side the same way. The overflow bottle needs to be moved (moving mine to where my stock air box was for now). The fuse box on my 97 needed to be moved a bit. I am tieing in two braces for the hoops that will be welded to the inner fender flares. I found some cool poly clamps that Parker makes so I can do the over engine brace.
My co's mount to the top of my inner knuckle via shock tabs.

I sit at about 8". I have about 5.25" of uptraveland the rest droop . In retrospect, I could have run 16x2" COs without going up thru the hood, but 14" travel is fine. I am a firm believer that more droop beyond a certain point doesn't get you any more traction as you unweight that tire. I bought my CO's with 200#/250# coils. We'll see how they do. Good CO's vendors will swap you out coils to dial in the rates as long as the coils are resaleable.

I am running a sway bar that is similiar to the Currie Anti-rock. Haven't mounted it yet, but I will.

As soon as I get a hosting site for pics, I will do a write up here.

SeanP said:
I am just finishing up my coilovers up front. to expand on mad maxj's very prolific answer ;) here's some more information.

Budget about $400-425 per corner for remote resevoir shocks. I scored a deal on some 14x2" sway a way's that were used for one season on a buggy. Used CO's from jeep guys typically are in pretty good shape. I don't know whether I would buy used from a desert racer, though.

Hoops are tied into the frame rail right on top of the engine mounts. This is the thickest metal on the XJ and a great place to mount the hoops. You will need to ditch your stock air box. Go with a turbo city tube (or make your own) that moves a small K&N to the passenger side near the tranny dipstick. You will need to mount the hoop on the drivers side at a 45* angle to clear the master cylinder. I did the passenger side the same way. The overflow bottle needs to be moved (moving mine to where my stock air box was for now). The fuse box on my 97 needed to be moved a bit. I am tieing in two braces for the hoops that will be welded to the inner fender flares. I found some cool poly clamps that Parker makes so I can do the over engine brace.

I sit at about 8". I have about 5.25" of uptraveland the rest droop . In retrospect, I could have run 16x2" COs without going up thru the hood, but 14" travel is fine. I am a firm believer that more droop beyond a certain point doesn't get you any more traction as you unweight that tire. I bought my CO's with 200#/250# coils. We'll see how they do. Good CO's vendors will swap you out coils to dial in the rates as long as the coils are resaleable.

I am running a sway bar that is similiar to the Currie Anti-rock. Haven't mounted it yet, but I will.

Rock equipment sway bar? or another?

SeanP said:

How's it wheel? ;)

So, you going to enter the race back to camp next Nov in JV? Or is that still too close a time frame to be ready? :D

Goatman said:
How's it wheel? ;)

So, you going to enter the race back to camp next Nov in JV? Or is that still too close a time frame to be ready? :D

I did Fordyce in a passenger seat this weekend. That was all the motivation that I needed to get it done. Full on fabrication today, got my upper mounts done and had to fab a new track bar mount on the frame and the axle. Of course murphy came by and decided it was time to empty my Oxy tank on a sunday.

Not sure about the baja stuff because of my bam bar on top of my rear diff. Maybe I'll get some of those bling-bling presureized bump stops. My budget is tapped though.

Yes, I got the Rock Equipment version of the Curry. Pretty much the same thing (knock-off) but cheaper.

SeanP

SeanP said:
I did Fordyce in a passenger seat this weekend. That was all the motivation that I needed to get it done. Full on fabrication today, got my upper mounts done and had to fab a new track bar mount on the frame and the axle. Of course murphy came by and decided it was time to empty my Oxy tank on a sunday.

Not sure about the baja stuff because of my bam bar on top of my rear diff. Maybe I'll get some of those bling-bling presureized bump stops. My budget is tapped though.

Yes, I got the Rock Equipment version of the Curry. Pretty much the same thing (knock-off) but cheaper.

SeanP
did you go with the RPS guys?

mad maXJ said:
did you go with the RPS guys?
Yeah, Keith Strong took pity on my rigless self and let me ride along. I even got to drive which was cool, although I suck at using the clutch on a rig that is 42:1

SeanP

SeanP said:

Here's some pics to go along with his description. I'll let Sean explain them cuz it's kinda hard to make out what everything is.

seanpco00.jpg

seanpco01.jpg

seanpco02.jpg

seanpco03.jpg

seanpco04.jpg

seanpco05.jpg

Billy

SeanP said:
Yeah, Keith Strong took pity on my rigless self and let me ride along. I even got to drive which was cool, although I suck at using the clutch on a rig that is 42:1

SeanP

Haaha, I know all about it! my first trip there was in my MJ with 33s, D30/D35, open diffs, and about 33:1 with a stick. It was interesting. I'm sure if it wasn't for the 113 inch wheelbase and reckless abandon, I never would have made it. that was with some of the same guys too, back when Keith had his YJ with T18, Atlas, 38.5s, etc

Back