• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ Flywheel Torque Spec?

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I have Factory Service Manual's for both of my 1988 & 1989 Cherokee's and cannot locate the flywheel torque bolt spec.

Can someone direct me to the page in the manual that contains this information?

If you have the values please respond with these as well.

Thanks,

Rick

assuming 4.0l?

flywheel to crank= 61-75ftlbs
clutch cover to flywheel= 23ftlbs

if 4cyl--
flywheel to crank= 50ftlbs
clutch cover to flywheel= 23ftlbs

torque specs are last page in "clutch" section

Shorty,

Thanks, but the values for the clutch cover to block appear in the page you refer to but not the flywheel to crank. This is from my 1989 FSM. I'll have to put my CD from Bishko Books for the 87-88 in my desktop to see if they are present in that one. Odd...

Someone on the YahooGroup Stroker's forum told me 105 ft-lbs. so I had to run out and loosen them QUICKLY. They saw less than 10 minutes at that value, but I would say the bolts just got ruined.

Rick

those came from the '88 FSM. I probably wouldn't sweat the over torque if I had done it.... but I've always got three or four other vehicles to drive if I encounter a problem. I'm assuming it was the flywheel to crank bolts that you ran down to 105ftlbs....

I checked my Snap-On "Production Torque Guide" first thing this morning. This may be best described as a pocket reference for use of one of their torque wrenches because it is supplied with each one.

It states that for SAE 8 Steel (medium carbon alloy) of 1/2" outside diameter body size 119 lbs-ft.

This does two things for me:

1) Makes me question the 61-75 lbs-ft range further,
2) Makes me feel better about the 105 lbs-ft value obtained from Strokers.

However, my bolts remain loose.

For some reason my late night post does not appear yet. I did locate a range of values in my Bishko CD (M.R. 244) for the 1984-1988 XJ's and it stated 61-75 N-m (45-55 lbs-ft).

Unbelievable...

Rick

My 1997 FSM on the Clutch contains a section devoted to the flywheel. The text of this section states the torque spec. to be 105 lb-ft. This same value is repeated in the close of the Clutch chapter in the "Torque Specifications" section.

With this information I felt comfortable torquing the bolts to 102-103 lb-ft using Locktite 242. I think I'm good.

Rick

Right from the 88 FSM.

torque1.jpg

Last edited:
Posting small bits are generally not a problem. But I think I should resize it smaller.

you'd think, as a criminal justice major, I'd be able to know when I'm breaking copyright laws..... maybe:D

Actually, I was more concerned with the B.O.D. knowing if I was "in the right" or "in the wrong." Anyone can make a rule that forbids something that is "legally" o.k.

you'd think, as a criminal justice major, I'd be able to know when I'm breaking copyright laws..... maybe:D

Actually, I was more concerned with the B.O.D. knowing if I was "in the right" or "in the wrong." Anyone can make a rule that forbids something that is "legally" o.k.

While I'm sure the BOD is rightfully concerned about links to copyrighted materials and any posting of them here, they are quite aware of the "Fair Use Rules", particularly as they pertain to "educational" use, and limited posting of basic data shouldn't get us into trouble. However, re-typing the info with a cite rather than copy-paste is usually the best.

Just to add some ambiguity..

1990 FSM : No mention of torque spec Just use the correct one and chrysler loctite.

88 fsm: 60 - 75 foot pounds

Haynes: 50 ft pounds plus 60 degree turn. (got that from the fsm for 4 cylinders so ignore that.

Chilton: 105 ft pounds

So I am leaning toward the 105 ft pound for my Renix with permatex blue That is confirmed by local technical contacts.

Last edited:
Just to add some ambiguity..

1990 FSM : No mention of torque spec Just use the correct one and chrysler loctite.

88 fsm: 60 - 75 foot pounds

Haynes: 50 ft pounds plus 60 degree turn. (got that from the fsm for 4 cylinders so ignore that.

Chilton: 105 ft pounds

So I am leaning toward the 105 ft pound for my Renix with permatex blue That is confirmed by local technical contacts.

LocTite is not an option - LocTite #242 should be considered mandatory.

Torque specs (culled from FSMs) are on my site in the Tech section - if you can't find it in your manual,, or think that your aftermarket manual is wrong, check there. I'm cranky - if there's an error there, it was in the manual (and I tried to catch errors I knew about before I put them up!)

Back