• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag delete 96 XJ?

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever swapped out parts with a pre-airbag XJ? I'm sure it's been done, but is there a way to do it that doesn't set codes or trigger a malfunction light? I never really liked the idea of a Bomb pointed at my face, and I'm 6'3" with a non tilt column. If I'm gonna have to swap for a tilt, I want to get one of the older (much better looking) steering wheels too.

I live in the nanny state of NY so it won't pass inspection if there's a code set. There has to be some configuration of resistors and/or diodes that will trick the ecu into thinking everything is normal.

Ideally I want the same wheel that was in my '90. All black with the trapezoid shaped center horn button, but I'd settle for any of them really. I just hate looking at the one that's in here now. It just doesn't look right.

Anyone have some input on this?

The air bag system on a 96 is mechanical.NO wires.Arming(sensor) is in the steering wheel behind the bag.
There is a plug on the cover behind the wheel, a screw underneath ,back this out to prevent air bag deployment.This plug will not fit back in the hole unless the screw is turned in and the system operational.
As far as a CEL I dont know. Never really paid attention on mine.

From what I have read (not first-hand knowledge) you should not have any problems with any wiring which should mean no CEL issues.

Your problems come in with the turn signals, horn and cruise control.

Some useful reading: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/replace-airbag-steering-wheel-112774/

Do some searching on Google and you can find a number of folks who have gone down this road before.

So other than the potential wiring conflicts, its pretty much a direct swap? Lengths are the same and bracketry is at least similar if not the same?

This is sounding more and more like the direction I want to go....

My brother brought back a sweet momo steering wheel from a euro Jeep, so I ditched the stock 96 wheel. I let him cut up the clock spring, but I should've done it since the turn signals don't cancel out after turning. The horn works and no dash lights for airbag. 95&96 have the same airbag/steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother brought back a sweet momo steering wheel from a euro Jeep, so I ditched the stock 96 wheel. I let him cut up the clock spring, but I should've done it since the turn signals don't cancel out after turning. The horn works and no dash lights for airbag. 95&96 have the same airbag/steering wheel.

Good to know! thanks. I'll be swapping the column for something with tilt for sure. Glad to know it's gonna be a relatively painless job.

Back