• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BigK's XJs

You need to fix your exhaust tip.. go chrome next time

Hah! That'd be good for a laugh, I'm just going to hack it off just before the kink.
Good meeting you out there (im terrible with names, what was it again?) and everyone else for that matter.
Burnt a bit of tranny fluid on the white rock trail, luckily theres no noticeable issues so I think the transmission is fine. Power steering hose needs to be replaced, and id like to upgrade the box while im at it, a durango box or otherwise, but after I told my dad about Jon rolling his rig I dont think a steering upgrade is in the near future.

Wow it's been a while since i've posted on here. The weather's warmin up and i'm finding some time to work on some problems I've been having with my Blue DD. I won't be going on any NAXJA organized Runs that are currently listed. But my buddies and I are planning to be back at dinkey creek for the 4th of July.

Red jeep's been sittin for a while: needs a cooling system refresh, charged battery, and some tlc to the drivetrain and suspension after last season.

Finals are next week. lot's of work to do; clean a garage, pull a motor etc

Blue jeep's still mostly stock, for now... :repair:

This post is a test of photobuckets mobile capabilities, and is a throwback to the time we loaded the heavy stuff up top, which I wouldn't recommend.
IMG951206_zpsrqx6af0c.png

I've been in the process of clearing space in the garage before I get the tear down started on the blue jeep.
I had some free time this weekend waiting for a craigslist buyer to showup so I dicked around with the OHC I plan on installing, as well as retrofitted some vanity mirrors onto my existing visors that I re-skinned when I did my headliner.
20170422_133430_zpsqgfjqbnx.jpg
20170422_171112_zpsvpa90cbs.jpg

Last edited:
The fabric I used is not uv resistant at all, couple days resting in the back of the jeepin and it's disintegrating. Gonna try some old denims next.

pics to follow
Too much lift @ roughly 5" but man it's shaping up! I have extended shackles and spacers installed so those will be removed, should drop down to a nice perky 3"

Stroker assembly has begun
Plastiguaged the crank mains all are good right around 2 thou
Need a washer for cam retention roughly .25" thick 5/8 I.d. might use an extra harmonic balancer washer, it's just a tad too thick, and I can't garuantee a flat surface if I ground and lapped it by hand.

Also need rockers and injectors, it pains me to not afford rollers but what can ya do. 24lb 4 hole injectors should do nicely.

I cannot wait to go find some fish in this thing!

P.s.
If you want to see some shenanigans, jeep enthusiasm, and more frequent updates; message me for my Snapchat handle

Thanks! I'm really fortunate to have no set timeline on this thing, because I keep needing more things for it! Gotta get a new set of pushrods, lifter preload is ~.120".

Mass assembly this weekend, and hopefully i'll be rolling around in time for the toy drive!

Broke the rings in yesterday, I still don't know how much power this thing has yet, because at 3k rpms it really wants to keep going, I'm not spending much time above that though. I'll be doing regular drive cycles of approx 50~100 miles over the next couple weeks to get this thing settled in.

when the motor hits 750 miles exactly, my jeep will be at exactly 200k miles. Very convenient, and makes the math easier for intervals.

Before then i'm gonna tweak the rear suspension some more (the frame rests on the shackles currently), slap in a front driveshaft-thereby completing my years-long 4x4 conversion, and put another set of coil pads in the front to try and keep the fenders from getting chewed up. it's sitting a lot lower than in the picture above.

Pics later

Last edited:
PIC DUMP
I'm having too much fun in this thing.
Gearing this thing up for some light trails and expeditions this summer.

Snapchat_185746789.jpg

Something's loosening up in the front end; I'm holding off driving it until I can figure out which of these death-traps is doing it.
It still tracks straight but in u turns it feels like the tires are folding over themselves.
Also need to Install boomerang shackles to fix binding.
Will be thoroughly inspecting, adjusting, and tightening things this week.

Snapchat_134990492.jpg

Gotta try and get the red up and running too, I miss playing in the rocks

IMG950113.jpg

Last edited:
could be wheel spacers not torqued or wheel bearings ? if it tracks straight its probably NOT trackbar, control arm or ball joint related. Could be, but less likely is my guess. I hate wheel adapters though they always sketch me out.

Incorrect caster setting and trac bar bushing issues have always been the culprit for me. Incorrect caster would apply to the feeling you get in a u-turn. I usually start with the pinion pointed just under the tcase and go from there.

Incorrect caster setting and trac bar bushing issues have always been the culprit for me. Incorrect caster would apply to the feeling you get in a u-turn. I usually start with the pinion pointed just under the tcase and go from there.

To add to that: pinion pointed up too high (axle tilted forward-springs bending forward) has always caused some kind of wobble for me. On the opposite end, the axle being basically in the same position as stock (flat) will cause drivetrain vibes. There's a sweet spot in the middle somewhere.

Yeah caster could be out of whack. But if this suddenly happened out of nowhere its probably not caster unless his control arm bushings all went bad. When I drove in his rig a while back it felt pretty sold except for a slight right pull

Thanks for the Input guys, I'll take a look at caster.
I had been thinking alignment angles as well, I kinda just slapped the axle in there while we built the stroker up.

John, I'm the same about those wheel spacers- though I didn't have any issues with the other set I was running. I figure the daily driving I do isn't severe enough to raise concern so long as I check the torque often

Back