• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow strap or recovery strap ?

I don't think you want to actually be able to see it stretch...that'd be a LOT of force.

That is a fine strap to use.

It'll work fine for an XJ.

I sold one of those exact straps to Dad a few years back, after using it to pull a fully loaded flatbed hauling cherries (around 30k lbs.) up a greasy, muddy slope with his orchard tractor. He used it a couple of years ago to yank a logging truck out of a soft spot.

After using chains his entire life, he's gotten spoiled with that strap.

You're confusing a recovery strap/tow strap with a snatch strap. The snatch strap is the elastic strap that stretches, then uses the absorbed energy to extract a stuck vehicle.

Most people use the strap you have, as a lot of situations you don't want a strap to stretch.

Sorry- I didn't explain it very well.

I don't even 'feel' it stretch. When the slack is taken up - it feels more like chian than strap - if that helps.

Sorry- I didn't explain it very well.

I don't even 'feel' it stretch. When the slack is taken up - it feels more like chian than strap - if that helps.

Its supposed to.

Last edited:
You're confusing a recovery strap/tow strap with a snatch strap. The snatch strap is the elastic strap that stretches, then uses the absorbed energy to extract a stuck vehicle.

Most people use the strap you have, as a lot of situations you don't want a strap to stretch.

I wouldn't lump 'recovery' in with 'tow'...as those terms are commonly used opposite of each other. 'Recovery' and 'snatch' are typically the same thing. ;)

ARB does a good job of explaining it in their gear descriptions. :) They even went so far as to color their straps differently now so their jobs aren't confused.

http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Tow-Straps-And-Recovery-Gear/Tow-Recovery-Straps/52.aspx

i have the 30'x2" procomp strap and I can definitely feel it stretch. even on some pretty beefy pulls it feels relatively smooth. Ive been very happy with it.

the 30,000 lb strap is probly to heavy of a strap I use a 20,000 with my landcruser to pull out fullsize crewcab trucks. I did buy a 30,000 lb strap and cant hardly streach it with my crewcab diesel

Drooling at that page, ARB's stuff is sweet, the colors are awesome.

I got sneak peek at them when I was at the US headquarters a couple years ago. That new line made it a LOT easier to distinguish than the old 'blue' stuff they had. :)

I borrowed one of their exhaust jacks a couple years back for a snow run. That thing was cool as hell. :laugh:

I got sneak peek at them when I was at the US headquarters a couple years ago. That new line made it a LOT easier to distinguish than the old 'blue' stuff they had. :)

I borrowed one of their exhaust jacks a couple years back for a snow run. That thing was cool as hell. :laugh:

I love those exhaust jacks, I've wanted one of those for a while.

It would have been very useful for the beach I used to work at, idiots would get stuck left and right, and then would dig the most ridiculous holes, most of the time trying to dig under their tires. Of course they wouldn't fill the holes in once they were done either.

I love those exhaust jacks, I've wanted one of those for a while.

It would have been very useful for the beach I used to work at, idiots would get stuck left and right, and then would dig the most ridiculous holes, most of the time trying to dig under their tires. Of course they wouldn't fill the holes in once they were done either.

We used it to help separate a tiny SUV from a 4-sled snowmobile trailer that had jack-knifed in the road, blocking it. Put it under the tongue and it pushed it right up. :D Pretty handy thing.

Back